New cooker cable question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will shortly be getting a Smeg 90cm cooker - Smeg catalogue states that this unit is 30amp (Gas hob + electric fan oven). However, I have downloaded the user/installation manual from Smeg Uk, and this states very clearly that 2.5sqmm cable can be used for the install of this unit. I have a radial circuit with 32amp mcb ready and waiting, but am now slightly confused, as this cable would appear to be undersized for 30A. Hopefully when I receive the cooker and full documentation, all will become clear. At the moment I think I will use 6mm or 10mm anyway, but wondered if anyone has come across this with Smeg before?

Sponsored Links
If its a single oven it will be 2.8kw if double oved 5.6kw max

Thanks for that -I have checked Smeg website again, and they quote nominal power as 4.5kW for this model, which would suggest 19amps, and 2.5mm cable being adequate...It is a single oven, but 90cm wide

Sponsored Links
probablly best to give it a dedicated 20A breaker in the CU then

it might still be worth fitting 6mm or 10mm cable through a proper cooker control unit and to the cooker outlet plate though in case you want to use some other form of cooker in future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back