Radiator earth bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, First time poster but I've been reading this most excellent and useful site for over six months now.

I've used the site search function but not been able to find the answer to my question so far: Re bonding radiators, obviously the bathroom radiator is bonded, but do I need to bond all other radiators in the house?

The house was built in 1984/1985, the wiring is the original from the time of building. In 2003 I had British Gas fit a new boiler and update the radiator valves to thermostatic but was not told at that time anything about extra bonding required. As my house is about to go on the market I want to dot all 'i's and cross all 't's before the house is inspected (as part of the HIP process)

Thanks in advance
Stevil

Sponsored Links
Bonding regulations are not retrospective, so for your needs the answer is no.

before the house is inspected (as part of the HIP process)

The HIP has been diluted down to a energy assessment only, so they will give you a report on the energy +/- for your house.

Windows, lagging, insulation, boiler efficiency, thermal loss- it won't include the house electrical installation.

chances are that the copper piping of your CH system(assuming there is no plastic piping) is already doing the job, thats as long as there are no high resistance joints anywhere, take resistance readings to the bonding earth point if all readings are acceptedly low then there is no requirement for bonding throughout the system.

Sponsored Links
You only need to have equipotential bonding in locations containing a bath or shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back