Bath Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to be fitting a new bathroom this month, and so re-tiling the bathroom.

The current bath has been tiled from the level of the bath, but I have also seen installations where the walls have been tiled first, then the bath fitted up to tiles.

Which is the better method?

Also, just bouncing some ideas here.... decided to tile the floor, and originally we were going to tile all the walls floor to ceiling.
As we think about it more we're not sure if that might look a bit much, it will be white modern suite, double ended bath and shower quadrant in corner.
Going to use travertine on the floor and a similar coloured ceramic on the walls.
Thinking now that maybe it would be better to either just tile all the walls say a 1/3rd up, then paint (obviously shower will be tiled top to bottom) - or maybe even just tile around the bath & shower.
I know it's personal preference but it's so hard to decide without seeing it!!

Sponsored Links
Fit the bath first then tile. Doing it this way ensure that it's more difficult for water to get down the side of the bath if the sealant fails. Plus, if your wall isn't dead flat, the bath won't sit flush to the wall and you'll have to fill in the gaps with silicone.

As for your other question - I vote for tiling the lot. ;)

Thanks for that, I'll silicone between side of bath and wall first then, then tile off of bath ledge, then silicone the joint - should be pretty water tight then.

Tile the lot hey? I just can't make my mind up, it's not the biggest of bathrooms (1.7x3m) and also missus said something about condensation?

Sponsored Links
That's the ticket.

Condensation = damp = removal of wallpaper. ;) Tile it all and if your missus gives you any lip, repeat these words.... "Darling have you no dusting to do?" :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back