When does a house need re-wiring ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a ex council house, it is the house where i grew up

In the late 70's ( aprrox 77 ) the council modernized the house, new central heating and re-wire.

I bought the house in 86

Around 98-99 social services fitted bathroom shower for my Mother who lived here. they did a electrical test after fitting finished..

2007 recently when decorating the topic of house re-wiring came up someone suggested the house will be due a re-wire soon .

Other people have said rubbish house wiring is fine..

So where can i get a proper answer on if and when a house should be re-wired.. I know as recently as 2006 new colour codes for cables came into operation so we match europe..

Can anyone qualified help or point in direction of where to find out from someone independent and not just a electrical firm looking to make money..

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Why don't you get a periodic inspection report done by a reputable company?
Steve

and how much is one of them

Why do i need to go and pay for one of those if my electrics are fine?

Its like having a perfectly operating car and saying ill just pay the garage to tell me my car is working fine..

The general rule is taken to be every 30 years ish but this depends from house to house.

new colour codes came in 2005 january i think it was.

what kind of fuse box/consumer unit do you have? modern one with mcb's or old style rewirables?

do you have rcd protection of the shower and socket circuits?

perhaps the best solution would be to have a PIR(periodic inspection report) done by an approved spark. this will include a test and inspection of all circuits in the property and it will better highlight any faults or areas that arent up to regs.

this will then allow for an educated decision on what work needs doing.

expect to pay about 150-200 for one of these.

what i will say though is if your looking at the house as a long term home/investment then before you update the decor or whatever your doing then it is well worth getting a PIR done now as one is due for the property.

you dont want to get the house all nice only for you to have to start ripping the kitchen up 2 years down the line to replace the cooker circuit cable!

Sponsored Links
If it was rewired in 1977, it is probably fairly satisfactory, but the earthing arrangements will be out of date; there is probably no RCD, and probably the number of socket outlets is inadequate for modern usage, especially in the kitchen. Some of the sockets and switches may be worn out or cracked.

Agree about getting a PIR done. This will tell you what is dangerous; what is not to current standards, and tell you what needs urgent attention in a detailed written report. Usually the electrician will subsequently be able to quote you a price for rectification, but you can show his report to others if you like. Expect to pay for the time the inspection takes; if you find someone who offers to do it for nothing he will be expecting to get back the cost in the price of repairs. Ask around friends and neighbours for a local electrician that they would recommend; try to take a look at some of his recent work. Phone and ask if he is a member of a self-certification scheme, and ask which one (if not, his work will have to be inspected by the council Building Control which is additional trouble and expense).

Upgrading the Earths is a simple DIY job that you can do yourself, unlikely to take you as long as a day. You are allowed to fit additional sockets yourself and renew old switches etc. that may be too old or have been damaged, and do not need BC inspection but must do it properly.

You are not allowed to DIY fit any new circuits or a new consumer units, and you are not allowed to fit additional outlets in the kitchen or bathroom, unless you pay the Building Control as above, so it is probably cheaper and easier to have it done by a suitably qualified electrician. (this is a bit of an abbreviation)

[/quote] why should i have one of those done if my electrics are fine
how do you know there fine?, you dont otherwise you wouldnt be posting on here
its like having a perfectly working car and paying a gararge to tell me its fine
what purpose does an MOT serve if not this?

Theguyuk said:
and how much is one of them

Why do i need to go and pay for one of those if my electrics are fine?

Its like having a perfectly operating car and saying ill just pay the garage to tell me my car is working fine..

If they're fine, don't have one done. If they're not, have one done.

I have to agree about the "fine"

That might just mean that it hasn't electrocuted you or burnt the house down...

But there may be faults that could do either tomorrow :(

Bit like having rusty brake pipes on your car; you want to find out before it's too late.

When social services fitted the shower and the extractor fan they replaced the main fuse box with a modern re-setable fuse system..

Then later a council guy came round and he tested all the switches and sockets in the house all was fine ( something that from the look on his face he was disappointed by, it was almost as if he wanted to find faults (laugh))

If you can post a pic of the area around your Consumer Unit, Meter and the incoming service cable with main fuse, we can comment further. There ought to be green, or green-and-yellow earth cables to the incoming gas and water pipes.

A photo of sample socket and light switch and ceiling rose would also be useful to give an overall impression.

Have you got enough socket outlets and a cooker point?

What were the things that made you think your installation might need work, and what are the things that make you reluctant to do it? Is it cost? When do you suppose you will next move? Are you thinking of doing much redecorating, or renovating the kitchen or bathroom?

Theguyuk said:
Around 98-99 social services fitted bathroom shower for my Mother who lived here. they did a electrical test after fitting finished..

Bless :)

Hi guy. If they installed it and tested it they should also have certified it - you may have a copy but I doubt it.

I've done quite a bit of work in properties where soc servs & housing assocs have done electrical work. What I see often makes me weep. Often think that maybe they have more needy families wanting the house so they'll try and electrocute the existing one.

Get a PIR done, it may save you money. It would be worse if you had the place rewired and it didnt need doing!!
]
TTC

Thinking of decorating and updating kitchen

But as you know modern units are set back from the wall ( i think its around 50mm but not sure ) so in effect modern trunking cable and pipes can be passed behind the units..

Once you get past the fear of the worktops , most modern kitchen units are as easy as flat pack furniture units. When properly installed its only the fixed sink etc that are a bane to move. Mind you with the modern off taps inline with water feed even moving to repair a sink base starts getting easier IMHO (doing mine took 20 mins)

Changing a one socket to a two or three outlet is easy with the wicks or wilkinsons (fused) adaptor and no messing with plastering

Electric and gas connections already plumbed in for cooker and no need to move it..Standard 600mm unit space

Just a quick comment regarding inspection and testing. I just carried out a full Periodic Inspection of a large house converted into eight bedsits. The landlord told me that everything was okay, all the work had been done professionally and he just needed a certificate. What I found was:

No supplementary bonding in bathrooms.
Unsuitable equipment in bathroom zones
No RCDs whatsoever
Incorrectly terminated sub-mains - exposed insulation and, in some cases, live parts.
Incorrect fusing (20A fuse for 1 sqmm lighting circuit?)
No means of isolation for sub-mains.
Inadequate IP ratings on all distribution equipment
Several circuits with unterminated CPCs, presumably through ignorance
Unused circuits left energised and concealed in walls.
Supplies from two different phases in the same flat
Emergency lighting on a different circuit from the stairwell lighting
Etc...

My point is that, from a casual viewpoint all is fine - it works, doesn't it? - but from an electrical safety perspective it's a nightmare.

I am grateful to all who have replied or do reply

One point i would make is while this is a complicated subject do bare in mind people like me are home owners and not in the trade. Can i suggest where possible the use of plain english and explinations of acronyms used.
Although i appreciate that some people resent the de-mystifying of trades

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back