SMEG Cooker - Circuit Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I will be replacing my old gas hob&oven with a Smeg A1P-5. As the new cooker is a gas hob with an electric oven (plug already fitted by manufacturer) a new supply will be required. The manual states the Smeg is rated at 3.0 kW (nominal power) and requires a 13Amp power supply.

With the CU approx. 5m from the kitchen, would the following radial circuit be suitable:

2.5mm T&E from 16A MCB into Cooker Switch/Socket - continuing in 2.5mm T&E to a 13A DP unswitched socket where I could plug in the Smeg.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Nope. As to why, have a think.

You have a 13A oven and you want to attach it to a CCU with a socket on, therefore potentially loading up with 26A. Replace the CCU with a 20A DP switch. Make sure the oven plug is accessible so you can change the fuse if necessary.

securespark said:
You have a 13A oven and you want to attach it to a CCU with a socket on, therefore potentially loading up with 26A. Replace the CCU with a 20A DP switch.

Thank you for the advice. How could I adapt my original idea as I could really do with the extra socket on the CCU?

Thanks.

What do you want to run off it?

If it's not 26A worth of appliances, you could make the breaker 20A.

You could make it 32A, but then you'd need to upgrade the cable.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
What do you want to run off it?

Toaster or microwave.

securespark said:
You could make it 32A, but then you'd need to upgrade the cable.

What cable would be required?

Thanks

I'd probably put in a 32A 6mm² circuit so you have flexability if cooking appliances ever get changed. Use a deep box behind the cooker to accomodate a cooker connection point, but install a socket on it for now

I'd put the circuit on the RCD side as you have a socket on the control unit (we could go into how likely it is someone would plug into it to mow the lawn, but we'd be here for hours...)

New circuits are notifiable to building control btw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back