Fitting Magnetic Alarm Door Surface Contacts on uPVC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you fit magnetic door contacts on UPVC doors and windows as door stick out from the frame If they are mounted on the front then the only way I can see is raise up the frame half of the contact.

Would it still work if the door contact was screwed to the top of the door and the frame part screwed to the frame in the normal way (this would mean that the front of each part (the face with screw holes) would not be facing - does this matter?

Sponsored Links
You need to pack out the switch so that it aligns with the magnet

I have done it this way, with the magnet mounted on the top edge of the door (screws vertical) and the contacts mounted above it on the frame (screws horizontal).

Just make sure before you fix anything that the contacts will close with the parts in this position.

Sponsored Links
stick it where you like.

door being pvc does not interfere with magnetism

but to make sure stick them on with blutac face down and put a meter acrross it to make sure it will work

Most switches will still operate if offset by as much a 10mm so no need to pack in my experience. Check it with a continuity tester (per above) to check.

TTC

what i did on our doors was take the small cylinder magnets out of the holders, make a small cut in the tubular door seal and push the magnet into the seal - dabbed with some epoxy glue. have worked fine for > 1 year

bad idea,

as is glued in you cant get it out whn it goes wrong / cable cut / need to ne moved

thats not the way it read, since you said magnets (plural)

and what idf door drops, you cant move magnet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back