Would I need new wiring or will the heater just plug in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please can you help me.

I am thinking of buying this panel heater, Dimplex plx3000.

Can you please advise if I would have to re-wire to use the panel heater like you have to do for an electric oven or can it just plug into a normal socket?

Thanks

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DXPLX3000.html

Sponsored Links
If you are just installing 1 then it will be fine just plugged in to an existing socket.

Thanks RF Lighting,

I may be installing 2 or 3, would that still be okay to plug in to an existing socket?

However, they may not all be running at the same time.

Thanks

At 13A each, 3x heaters will soon overload your 32A ring circuit. 2x heaters is taking a sizeable portion of your allowance but when connected to a ring circuit that isn't feeding the kitchen will probably cause no problems due to low loading.

Large fixed loads should have their own circuit so if you can run a new radial circuit just for heaters that would be your best solution but if not, then assuming you understand the limits you should be fine.

Remember that you should only plug 1 high power appliance into a standard double socket, and you shouldn't use 2 heaters in close proximity to prevent overloading a single leg of the ring circuit.

Davy

Sponsored Links
Thanks davy owen 88 for your advice.

The builder and electrician I have working on my extension did mention they were going to put an extra consumer unit so all the electrics from the extension will run off this. However, I will just have to check with the electrician if the panel heaters are going to be okay.

So, what I am doing is rather than extend the radiators from the combi boiler in the new build, I am only having electric heating in this part. This I can turn on and off when required.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back