electric shower install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have plumbed in electric shower and as soon as open isolation valve (And prior to turning on power ) water came shooting out the inlet joint
( the inlet is not threaded ) . the inlet connection used was recommended at local plumb centre of a plastic type compression elbow.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
slipdigby said:
have plumbed in electric shower and as soon as open isolation valve (And prior to turning on power ) water came shooting out the inlet joint ( the inlet is not threaded ) .
Oh deary me. Did you read and follow the manufacturer's instructions?

the inlet connection used was recommended at local plumb centre of a plastic type compression elbow.
I've never heard of a plastic compression elbow. Have you perhaps fitted a plastic push-fit elbow? If so, remove it and fit a brass compression elbow, like the manufacturer says. Then dry out the shower with a hair dryer. Then go back to the place where you bought the plastic elbow and insert it into the assistant who misinformed you.

Cheers.
How do i fit a brass compression elbow to the inlet if the inlet has no threads to attach it too ?

Assuming, for now, that this isn't a wind up, this is a brass compression elbow:

30077_a.jpg

You can fit it to copper tube, or plastic pipe, or any plain spigot of suitable diameter, which includes the inlet on an electric shower.

What kind of fitting did you use before to connect to the shower?

Sponsored Links
i know what the elbow looks like - how do i connect it to the inlet which DOES NOT HAVE ANY THREADS on it ?

slipdigby said:
i know what the elbow looks like - how do i connect it to the inlet which DOES NOT HAVE ANY THREADS on it ?
I have no idea, because after sticking the compression elbow up your anus it won't reach the inlet.

what fantastic wit you have Softus - presumably ur second name is ****.

I bought a Creda shower recently and this had a plastic inlet pipe, no thread. I used a reusable push-fit plastic elbow which works admirably. The only problem I have with the push-fits is to make sure they are pushed all the way in, else leaks can occur.
Slip - is it possible the fitting was not pushed on fully ?

Electrics is more my thing (and lots to learn there too) but I believe our freind softus was alluding to the fact the thread is required on the elbow fitting and uses compression to seal the brass olive onto the inlet pipe which in my limited experience has never been threaded and is usually plastic about an 25mm long.

slipdigby said:

:rolleyes: The only threads required are those on the fitting itself. :rolleyes:

equitum said:
Electrics is more my thing (and lots to learn there too) but I believe our freind softus...
Let's get one thing straight - I'm not a friend of either you or slipdigby.

... was alluding to the fact...
I haven't "alluded" to anything, other than the fact that the OP is incompetent.

...the thread is required on the elbow fitting and uses compression to seal the brass olive onto the inlet pipe which in my limited experience has never been threaded and is usually plastic about an 25mm long.
A correct, but beserk, description of what happens. :rolleyes:

...the thread is required on the elbow fitting and uses compression to seal the brass olive onto the inlet pipe which in my limited experience has never been threaded and is usually plastic about an 25mm long.

From experience a compression fitting onto a plastic pipe can be a problem if the plastic deforms too much under the olive. This can cause the joint to weep if the nut is tightened too much.

Putting a "mushroom" of copper into the plastic pipe was a common practise to prevent the plastic deforming under the olive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back