Baxi Solo Click off after main gas ignition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help, my Baxi boiler failed this week and I need help diagnosing the problem....
Pilot lights and stays lit without problem first time every time.
boiler sits there happily with pilot lit for as long as you like,
When main gas lights I can see through the window that the pilot gets pulled up more into the boiler and does not engulf the thermocouple with enough power to keep it hot, the main gas then goes out along with the pilot.
After this I can re-light straight away and go round the same circle again,

I have removed the pilot injector and can blow through it easily backwards but not easily in the direction of gas flow, is this normal.
Is there any way of adjusting the pilot gas pressure?

Am I on completely the wrong lines and is there anything else I could check? Model is a Baxi Solo WM50 4RS

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
If you've gotta ask a question like that then it sounds like your not Corgi.
Could be a slightly blocked injector of pilot tube. Poor gas pressure. Best left to someone with the right knowledge and equipment.

No not Corgi, just trying to get an idea of what the problem is before calling someone out, if its something simple no point dragging some hard working person over unnecessarily.

Like I say looking for ideas, and if I can fix it myself all the better.

I'm just a bit concerned cos if you try turning adjustment screws and dont set the boiler to the right pressure it leads to incorrect combustion, carbon monoxide, death and destruction. :cry:

Sponsored Links
wardis said:
No not Corgi, just trying to get an idea of what the problem is before calling someone out, if its something simple no point dragging some hard working person over unnecessarily.

Like I say looking for ideas, and if I can fix it myself all the better.

well seeing as you have broke a gas line in your inept attempt at sorting your problem, are you SURE that you only want to know to save calling out someone unecessarliy OR are you trying to save a few bob and in doing so chancing the lives of your loved ones and you neighbours?

Call Corgi out, shouldn't cost more than about £80 if all that is needed is a new pilot injector :rolleyes:

No Problem,

I undid one connection on a pipe that connects to the pilot of the boiler, hardly rocket science :rolleyes: , had a look at the injector for obvious blockages or crud build up, attempted to blow through it, replaced it all, checked for leaks and tried it again, experienced the same problem so before ringing an engineer thought I would ask a simple question of you experts in an attempt to discover if the injector could be blocked, if it could would have followed up with asking the best way to clean it or where to get a replacement, I really didn't realise this was such a dangerous thing to do myself, adjusting pilot was a general question and not something I would contemplate doing myself.

Anyway I am now reaching for the yellow pages, thanks for your replys and your concern, Im sure the local engineer will fix this without problem.

Thanks again.

wardis said:
No Problem,

I undid one connection on a pipe that connects to the pilot of the boiler, hardly rocket science :rolleyes: , had a look at the injector for obvious blockages or crud build up, attempted to blow through it, replaced it all, checked for leaks and tried it again, experienced the same problem so before ringing an engineer thought I would ask a simple question of you experts in an attempt to discover if the injector could be blocked, if it could would have followed up with asking the best way to clean it or where to get a replacement, I really didn't realise this was such a dangerous thing to do myself, adjusting pilot was a general question and not something I would contemplate doing myself.

Anyway I am now reaching for the yellow pages, thanks for your replys and your concern, Im sure the local engineer will fix this without problem.

Thanks again.

well I for wont give you that info as it may not be "rocket science" but if you cock it up you may find you have turned your gaff into a rocket.

as Gas says it aint a hard job for an RGI who knows his arrse from his elbow dont be so tight.

out of interest HOW did you check for leaks???

Corgiman

Rightly or wrongly lit the pilot to make sure it had pressure behind injector, then did a soap water test for bubbles around the joint I had broken, this is what we used to do when I worked on a major Hazard chemical plant with gas that killed at less than 5ppm. What should I have done to check?

Like I said before its not a case of being tight, I didn't realise what I was doing was so wrong, I have arranged a visit from my local Corgi Engineer so should be sorted by tomorrow, if its just the Injector (£6.00 on the net) he should have it sorted and at a cost of only £85 to me........ Bargain :D ....

Joking apart, whatever it is at least it will have been corrected properly and I will know its safe.

Cheers again guys, keep up the good work.

We all don't mind helping anybody out, but we are very wary of instructing anyone we 'don't know' to intefere with gas parts. No personal doubt on your ability intended ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back