Myson Apollo Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My boiler fan or something comes on for 30 seconds every few minutes, the boiler looks quite old but i cant afford to change it at the moment, i have had a couple of people come round and they said there should be no real need to change it but they dont know why the boiler makes this noise every few minutes, it does pump air out the fan in the wall so i can only assume that its the fan coming on or a pump of some sort, the flame doesnt light up at this time so i am unsure as to what it is. when the boiler is on it is quite loud so this noise is really annoying.. i have to keep it switched off at the mains so it doesnt come on but his means i cannot use the timeswith.

can anyone shed any light on this please..

Sponsored Links
I could have sworn I replied to this last night. :confused:

What model Apollo is it?

Some fan-flued Apollo's have a permanent pilot which means the fan runs every so often to clear the products of combustion of the pilot flame. Do not turn off the mains supply to the boiler.

If the fan is noisy then it probably needs replacing. Is it noisy when the main burners are on?

yes the boiler is noisey when it all goes on, i have to switch it off at the mains as its soo noisey and my bedroom is above it and it would keep me up all night otherwise.

so you think that is definitely the problem, is it a hard job to fix?

Not exactly difficult to change a fan depending on what model it is. Can you advise?

If it's the one I'm thinking of then the only shock will be the price of the replacement fan. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Yes, not cheap.

And new holes may have to be drilled (in fact they will have to be)

Self tappers will sort that out

Dave

well i hope its not the one you are thinking of, but it says the apollo fanare 15/30 - 30/50 or 40s, not sure which one it is tho.

so it is natural that the fan will keep kicking in then? its soo annoying

Yes it will. Its a perm. pilot fan flued boiler. The fan needs to clear the POC (products of cusbustion) or the pilot will continally fail.

Same as a glowworm swiftflow.

Im guessing you have only noticed it as the fan has become noisy?

Dave

Yup. That's about what I was quoted (trade) by Partscenter when my brothers fan bit the dirt. Jammy so and so got one for nixies through a guy at work. Doesn't Raden do this sort of thing?

thanks for all the help guys, even if its not what i wanted to hear, no the fan ahs always been noisey since i moved in 1 yr ago, thought it may have been a faulty timeswitch switching it on but ive put a new one on, been doing the kitchen up you see so through winter struggled with no programme, boy was it cold.

And retail is £370 + VAT which is what you would probably get charged plus fitting if you had a CORGI in. So it is still relatively cheap :rolleyes:

Agree though that with age of boiler replace with new one and upgrade system to comply with latest regs. Ball park figure around £1600-£1800 + VAT.

Still seem expensive for fan :rolleyes:

We have the same problem with our boiler (same model). The fan comes on every 4 minutes exactly and it keeps me awake as its next to our bedroom. A plumber looked at it recently and said there's nothing he can do so we'll have to put up with it until we can afford a new boiler.... I share your feelings of annoyance!

Sam4, that boiler fan runs every so often to clear the products of combustion caused by the pilot. It is normal operation for that model.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back