Move bath taps to meet regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents want to replace their conventional boiler/hot water cylinder with a Combi Boiler. They have a cast iron bath with separate taps that are attached to the inside of the bath. They have been told that the Combi Boiler cannot be installed because the position of the taps does not meet regulations. They do not want to change the bath. Are there any alternatives? e.g. Is there an adaptor they can buy that will attach to the existing tap holes and position new taps to the top of the bath or is it possible for a plumber to drill new holes in the ceramic bath & attach tap hole blanks to the existing holes?

Sponsored Links
That's if the overflow level would submerge the tap spouts. If not, you're OK.
Otherwise you'd have to arrange some whacky set of connections to get the spout(s) higher

Thanks, the overflow level will submerge the tap spouts.
Does anyone know if there is anything on the market that will get the spouts higher or enable a new set of taps to be used?

If it looks like these then they are called globe taps
s-ta-bath-2.jpg

They are female iron so you could rig something up using chrome rad extension pieces etc .

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing the area of concern is back syphonage.

Would fitting double check valves on both H&C supplies make the present tap arrangement meet the regs?

I don't think it would, for bath water you need an air gap I believe.

I'm thinking maybe it has Supataps fitted.

si_UEw150h150_cool%20taps.JPG

Just fit double check valves to the hot/cold pipes - will then copmply with reg. G15.14

Not convinced that check valves are considered 'adequate' in this scenario (ludicrous though that might seem!). Check Water Regs.

Its all here ;)

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/water/industry/wsregs99/guide/section6.htm

Submerged inlets to baths and washbasins

G15.14 Submerged inlets to baths or washbasins in any house or domestic situation are considered to be a fluid category 3 risk and should be supplied with water from a supply or distributing pipe through a double check valve. Submerged inlets to baths or washbasins in other than a house or domestic situation, and sinks in any location, are considered to be a fluid category 5 risk and appropriate backflow protection will be required.

Different regs. if its a bidet/hose but who fits these anymore.

Double checkvalves on hot and cold feeds to taps will suffice for a bath as Gasguru says bathwater is only classified as fluid category 3.

Important to note that DCV's would NOT be ok for globe taps on a Belfast type sink unit as these are usually classified as potential category 4.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back