electrical supply to shower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it possible to wire the shower to a live feed in the attic or shall i just boil my head now and call an electrician?

Sponsored Links
I'd love to help, but my crystal ball it out for repair. What type of shower are you talking about?

If you mean an electric shower with only a cold feed that heats the water instantaneously then no, it is very unlikely that you will have a feed in the loft suitable, unless there is currently a redundant shower circuit up there.

davy_owen_88 said:
I'd love to help, but my crystal ball it out for repair. What type of shower are you talking about?
sorry i was so vague, the shower is a creda shower panel aqua experience, with integral boost pump. it has hot and cold supply, there's no existing power supply so i need a new one but don't know where to take it from.

Sponsored Links
WARNING!!!

You are playing with death to you, your family, and all who visit your home if you proceed alone!!!

To install the electric supply yourself is the most fool-hardy thing you could possibly do, unless you or anyone else who wires it up, know completely what they are doing, and are suitably qualified

There is a multitude of regulations on this type of installation designed to protect you and your familys life, which I am confident you know nothing about. (no disrespect intended)

You need to get a professional in to do this job who has knowledge of NICEIC regulations as it must conform to BS7671.

Apart from risking death, you would also invalidate your home insurance should your house burn down, not to mention criminal proceedings for manslaughter.

This is not an area to cut corners on, and tho I could advise you in part, I could not give a full 'how-to' without firstly inspecting your electrics.

Just consider this fact "WATER, PLUS ELECTRICITY EQUALS DEATH EVERY TIME! (ask anyone who has ever been seated in 'Old Smokey')"

p.s. i felt so strongly about this, that i joined specifically today to warn you!

Cerry Dummins,

Note that knowledge of the NICEIC regulations does NOT equate to installation of wiring to BS7671.

Tell the man how to do the job and let him decide whether he has the ability to do this safely, competently and legally. He has already acknowledged that he may not be able to take this on.

THRIPSTER said:
Cerry Dummins,

Note that knowledge of the NICEIC regulations does NOT equate to installation of wiring to BS7671

Knowing all the regulations inside out, front to back and in precise detail does not equate to doing the job properly.

Some DIYers working on thier own home with their own family interests at heart will take time and effort to find out how to do the job properly, safely and to a standard higher than regulations require.

Then there are the out and out bodgers and corner cutters who do a slipshod bad job. Bodgers can be found outside the ranks of DIYers among people who know and ignore the regulations.

Indeed, Bernard. I have no no knowledge of "NICEIC regulations". Is this a new law we didnt know about?

I am, however, fully conversant with the requirements of BS7671.

If the OP wants to call in a spark he can find a whole list at www.competentperson.co.uk

Some are NICEIC, some are from other organisations.

I do echo Mr cummins general warnings that u must know what u are doing, especially where water & lekky can mix. There are a whole heap of requirements to consider (legal ones too).

Then why don't YOU tell him how to do it Chripster, you seem to be a suitable 'Bodger' who might like the idea of having a death on your hands!

As for myself... I repeat: "This is not an area to cut corners on, and tho I could advise you in part, I could not give a full 'how-to' without firstly inspecting your electrics."

Out of interest, I would like to know how you would advise him to test his earth connections are adequate.

Tell him about trip-switches and and d-pole isolators, and were best to site them, I like a good laugh as much as anyone.

As for the original question, I would rather pay myself for him to have it done to standard than have the possibility of badly charred children on my hands & mind!

Then there is the Legal requirements and insurance problems to consider too.

This is only my advice, not an order. (27yrs a spark)

Derry, this might not be the best forum for you to participate in if you are going to tell everyone they are playing with death. While your general point is well made and totally correct, this is a DIY forum, where people are intending on doing the work themselves, and are seeking advice to do a good/safe job. They did not come here to be told they shouldn't even consider it because they might kill their children. :rolleyes:

As you should know being an electrician, anyone can carry out electrical work, even work in a bathroom so long as they notify the job first and then get it inspected. It is the job of the inspector to ensure the job is done correctly and to current standards. Assuming you give him good advice, you are only going to help the matter, instead of allowing him to carry on blissfully unaware because you refused him advice.

I'm interested as to what these NICEIC regulations are, and my a non member should work to them?

Oh and yes I have worked for an NICEIC approved firm for over 10 years

Hi Davy,

A 'forum' such as this is for passing on advice.

When I read the original question, I had a nightmare vision of him using 1.0mm t & e taken from a ceiling rose without even checking his earth is adequate

I have passed on 'MY' advice with the best of my intentions, which is not to endanger life.

That said, the original question is not directed to me alone, so do feel free to give him your own advice on the subject.
Something constructive would be appreciated by him i'm sure, rather than knit-picking on mine. (which isn't the reason for this forum)

Then you will give him the benefit of yours, or any one else's who wishes to chip in, many years of experience, so he may then choose for himself the best way to proceed.

Derry Cummins said:
I haven't come here to be center-piece of a blog, I haven't the time.
...as is generally claimed by people with time on their hands who love to be the centre of forum attention.

Yeah, clearly you have no time for posting on this forum. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back