DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Silicone seal around double glazing

This topic originated from the How to page called Draught proofing windows and doors
Click here to return to the page called Draught proofing windows and doors.

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pame1a

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:45 pm Reply with quote

I had double glazing fitted a couple of years ago but the silicone seal between the window frame and the inside wall has now come away from both surfaces in the corners and gaps of a couple of mm on each side of it are present. The silicone is basically not attached to anything in these areas. On the outside, the frame has pushed outwards slightly so the silicone peels back in the corners, especially in summer. Can I remove the silicone and re-seal it with something from a DIY store?

Thanks
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Tanglefoot

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote

Hi, you just need to remove the old silicone, cut it away with a sharp stanley knife, also to help you get hold of it and pull it off use long nose pliers to help you grip it. It depends on how much the silicone has degraded, it can be quite tough to remove neatly but it just takes a bit of patience. Then once you've removed it all, apply fresh silicone with a silicone gun and smooth and press your bead of silicone with a wet finger.

I'd wait for a good few dry days though first, you want any moisture that's in the to get dried out nicely and you want to apply the new stuff when it's nice and dry too.
 Alert Moderators
Pame1a

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:27 am Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks so much for helping me out. I'll have a go when the weather gets better!

Pam
 Alert Moderators
Richard C

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:50 am Reply with quote

Use low modulus silicone on the outside but on the inside, use a flexible decorators caulk otherwise emulsion paint or wall paper will never stick to it when you come to decorate. If the frame has moved & it's only 2 years old I would call the company that installed it back as it doesn't sound as if the window has been properly installed; hopefully they didn't just stick it in the wall with silicone!
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Windows and Doors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: