driveway drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The drains in my drive are a circular sump about 2.5ft deep. There is an outlet at the bottom of the sump connecting vertically to another half way up. By this higher outlet there is a stopper on a chain which fits this outlet. Is the stopper normally supposed to be in place?

Sponsored Links
Its not very well described but I think you mean an inspection chamber and a late victorian running trap with a rodding eye above it with the stopper which should be in place.

Most of them and a blocked trap and they fill up and exit through the rodding eye.

Tony

They go much later than Victorian. They might still be used?
I think Tony meant to say that the stopper, in the rodding eye, is often missing. You don''t get a trap then of course, but they are less inclined to block.

The stopper has usually fallen out and is now blocking the trap.

Most have by now been removed as that gives continued operation when the trap blocks.

I have only ever seen them on late Victorian and edwardian properties.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I had one in a 1923 house.

But yes, the lower one is very often blocked and the stopper missing.

If the bottom port is not blocked, or you can clean it out, put the stopper back in. It is supposed to prevent rats and smells getting through, as there is a trap in the lower one.

Thanks very much for the prompt replies, I suspected the stopper was supposed to be in place. Fortunately the stoppers in both the drains are still attached by their chains and so did not block the bottom ports - it was about a foot of sludge blocking these until I cleaned them out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back