Finishing off around new frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting wooden double glazed frames to my mum's house. It has rendered walls. The old frames had the rendering overlapping the frame. I chiselled back the rendering flush with the aperture before removing the old windows. How should I best finish off around the edges? I have put expanding foam around the frame wherever I can.

Also should I have gotten planning permission to change any windows? (a bit late now).

Sponsored Links
i cant answer about planning,but knock up some pug and stick new stones into the render,the paint.

Polysulphide. same colour as window frame would be my choice...pinenot :)

Thanks for the reply guys. I am not aware of what "pug" is....I'm not a builder...just a diy'er. And I have not come across polysulphide either, but will look them up.

Sponsored Links
Hard to tell from the angle of the pics but if the gaps are under 10mm you could masking tape the frame and seal using Wurth acrylic sealant, Paint then remove the tape for a perfect straight edge.

Before you take the tape off you could stab the sealant with the brush a bit to rough it up and match it in.

Planning shouldn't be a problem but you will need building regs sign off. I hope you have toughened glass, ventilation and fire egress hinges in all the right places.

The windows were supplied by a local long standing company. I presume they would have been made to regulations. Apertures are big enough for eggress...but no special hinges like I have on my plastic windows, just hinged on one side. I'm not sure if the glass is marked. I'll check when I am next over there.

Who do I need to approach about building regs signoff. Local council?

Is that external beading the glass is held in with?
I woudl chisel back render 3-4 inches, install temp beading render back to it and remove leave nice clean sharp edge.

All windows should now have a sticker visible inside the opening sash somewhere stating there BRFC rating number, I'm sure all windows should have them now but maybe it dosent apply to wood?

Toughened glass would be needed anywhere that is less than 800mm from the floor (inside and out) or less that 300mm from a door. Did the suppliers come and measure as this would be the only way they would have known.

Fire egress (a clear opening of 450mm x 750mm) is needed for any habitable room that is not directly connected to a hallway that leads to an exit. Basically all upstairs rooms except for bathrooms and any downstairs room where you have to go through a second room to get to the hallway.

As for the building regs yes you would have to contact your local council to get them to come out and sign it off or you will have trouble selling in future. Down my way they charge £180 :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back