cutting a curve and replacing frame on a trellis panel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I originally posted this in garden but think it makes more sense her so sorry for the duplication. I have a old wall surrounding my garden . The wall rises from 4 ft to 6ft at the side of the house by way of a curve and I want to cut a trellis to match the curve (shown in green) i've attached a picture , to make sure it looks neat and remains strong id like to replace the frame (front and back) so it looks like the other edges of the trellis.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this can best be achieved? Should I scribe the curve onto some sheet material or could I potentially bend two piece of wood to use as the frame? If so what type of wood/ sheet wood, would people recommend?

Cheers for all your help

Chris

Sponsored Links
Make a template for the curved piece needed,
cut the sections out of thin boards of pine,
you may have to make sides out of a few pieces to save timber and exclude short grain
stagger the joints on each side,
screw through from each side.

Can't see the point, trellis being made from sawn timber, anything else will stand out like a sore thumb and rot fairly quickly.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I originally posted this in garden but think it makes more sense her so sorry for the duplication. I have a old wall surrounding my garden . The wall rises from 4 ft to 6ft at the side of the house by way of a curve and I want to cut a trellis to match the curve (shown in green) i've attached a picture , to make sure it looks neat and remains strong id like to replace the frame (front and back) so it looks like the other edges of the trellis.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this can best be achieved? Should I scribe the curve onto some sheet material or could I potentially bend two piece of wood to use as the frame? If so what type of wood/ sheet wood, would people recommend?

Cheers for all your help

Chris

I wouldn't do this. In my opinion the only thing that will look neat and remain strong will be to finish the trellis square over the curved bit of wall. Or finish the trellis square before the curved bit of the wall (ie where the right hand post is, in your drawing).

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back