Diy Loft conversion 2 up 2 down 1900's terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought Id do this as a new thread
Usual thing need the space could not afford to move so here we go
Basically i realised that i should be able to do it myself saving ££,
Took a recommendation of a structural engineer whom designed the loft with no steel work only for the Chimney support.

I started in a way that best suited me rather than the pros
Stairs came first
Then opened up into the loft
Stairs made Build reg lady seemed happy at stairs only questioned the 4 winder but as the office passed it of she was happy.
just need to put tread on as I did not want to damage them
New view from rota window shame its the store room outside all done from the inside bit nervous taking the first tile out
Stack removed but finishing still required. With flich beam which was blooming heavy!!! As all done on my own took the right stack out and rested the beam on the left stack( horizontal and RHS part). Then man handled the two pieces together and bolted up
where the stacks ended up

Next step is more cash and the rear dormer

Sponsored Links
Over the last 10 days I have been on holiday off work to get this done
So far the only other person to work on the dormer the scaffolders
first big hole.
Dormer carcass council inspected at this point seem ok The Dormer cheek gave me some conflict between council and Structural Engineer. The council change spec to 100mm square corner post and 9mm ply with a 100x50 frame, where as SE spec'd no post but 50x50 frame work and 15mm ply.He also stated the council option is not strong enough.
In the end i have the 100mm corner post and two layers of 9mm ply on the cheeks and 50x50mm frame but doubled up as when speaking to the council this would be fine.

All tiled
Nearly finished guttering to fit and few other bits like some flashing ran out
May be not the best but any fuc! ups are mine and not some one elses i have to put up with

Great post, I am actually planning on something very similar on my 1903 terrace in Gillingham. :D

Do you mind if I ask how much the DIY option ended up costing, and how hard it was to get it done in the 10 days? My main worry is having the roof off for too long!

Sponsored Links
must be a day for it a neighbour down the hill knocked on the door asking about it seeing me doing it myself

Great post, I am actually planning on something very similar on my 1903 terrace in Gillingham. :D

Do you mind if I ask how much the DIY option ended up costing, and how hard it was to get it done in the 10 days? My main worry is having the roof off for too long!

Oddly I only live in just the other side of the river,
Not yet completed but I have just over £4k on materials for the dormerjust the exterior (about 3x3.5m) ,all flooring,insulation,front velux and stairs but that is it. Yet to start the internal walls and doors.
the drawings and SE, and the council was about £1500.

Local I would recommend the SE i use but draftsman no

Well hats off to you, I think a lot of us DIY'ers think they can be done, but looking for somebody to copy/confirm it!

My guestimate was £5k - £10k, which is still stupidly small compared to getting a builder in.

I've been quoted £795 for the loft drawings previously, does this sound about right?

Excellent, cheers for the link, although it refers to self closing doors so assume it is previous regs?!

The draftsman, was that just for the design of the dormer, and was it not worth it from what you said below?

Finally, how did the scaffold work. Does the company put it up, and you keep it so long as you need? If you don't mind me asking, what kind of price was that bit?

The SE designed the dormer. And the draftsman did a drawing of it in the 3 plans pre and post dormer. Along with a local map with the location on.
The scaffolding was 250 for 6 weeks a company in cliffe.

The door closure regs don't apply as I only have one room changes if you have more.

A bit more work in progress
Had Building inspector round at insulation stage and now next visit will be to sign off
100mm and multi foil not to worried about cold more worried about keeping heat out
wires are for wall lights and switch and sockets

Cubby hole big enough for 32" tv any toys still a bit of finishing
Radioator fitted so i could get some real support before boarding up offset to suit bed location, not poor measuring

How not to load a car thought the 6x3 sheets would be fine, but never clocked they where 8x4's till i unloaded the first, was just concerned about positin when loading up never noticed they was a bit big DOH. they got returned but the yard picked them up

Yes but only temp till i get the correct fittings, last time had none in stock, not be back, as no rush LOL

Could wire wool off the chrome on the pipe where it goes below floor, and then use pushfit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back