Help/Idea/Input needed - Strange floor issue. Head Scratcher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I've been a silent regular for a while and just signed up (should have done ages ago).

My Fiancée and I bought our first house in May this year, which happens to be a complete renovation.

We are well in to it so far and doing pretty much everything going ha!

When we got the place the main bedroom had 3 stains on the floor. Was an old couple (original occupants), so it could be anything....Let the mind wander, he was also a truck driver I believe from a few awards in the old garage before he passed away in a care home.

I've pretty competent at most things but this one is still just playing on my mind for the best route to take.

I bought a moisture meter (cheapy thing) and most boards around it read 1-4%... however on the stained areas they read 25-38%... Now we have been testing since before and since getting the house constantly and it’s not changed. However the other day we dipped the meter in to pure water expecting to see 100% and it only went up to 38% still. So that’s puzzle 1.

Secondly sometimes light depending with daylight the patches can seem to change colour or look darker but it may be a UV effect or just our eyes? No mains electrics still yet so its just based on natural light.

I’ve tried high heat with a heat gun, sanding the surface with a belt sander in localised area, we’ve tried salt on it to see if its moisture to draw out, sawdust. All sorts and it just doesn’t seem to change.

My uncle wonders if its Glycerol/ glycerine based. Apparently its found in many products which draws in water to it. I doubt its P**s as it’s a dark colour. He was a truck driver so I wonder if it’s a mineral or oil or something that was in the wardrobe (was a built in before) as it doesn’t look like it went under the wardrobe and looks like it fell away from the doors as it spread but I’m not 100% on that also..

I can’t work out what to do and have a number of ideas….

* just sand all the floor back ( the patch sanded doesn’t seem to react to light now) and then have a re-assess.
*Prime/ sealer over it like Zinsser BIN
*Overboard it with 3mm ply or hardboard for the room
*Take up the affected 10 floorboard runs and try get some reclaimed ones and replace.
*Take the entire room flooring up to the nearest joist to the inner partition walls and then lay chipboard flooring for the complete room instead.
*Lift the floorboard planks flip them 180 degrees and then re-fit the under surface on top. We had all the ceilings down below and managed to moisture check them with above said meter and they are a dry golden colour reading 2% (again don’t know if the tools accurate or not but 2 is better than 38%).

Images are uploaded here that have been taken from May 20th – a week or so back.

//www.diynot.com/network/3DGuy/albums/18796

As you can see it’s a real brain scratcher so I’ve included some photos of the various stages we have seen them at. Obviously the colours changed a bit with dust on top and such since getting the house.

Any thoughts or ideas would be incredibly appreciated and thanks to anyone that can give some insight or thoughts on this.

Many thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
I'd try flipping the boards first as it's the cheapest option... Bare in mind that the underside might not be finished as well.

Hi there,

Many thanks for the reply. I've just added another image to the album. This shows the ceiling down in the dining room directly below. I would say that the floor boards look in pretty good condition from the underside. Well dried out and seasoned look as they are around 43 years old.

Any further thoughts on seeing these?

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
Sometimes they are each nailed into the 'groove' through to the joist as they are laid and if so they will be a pain to lift without damage. I would be inclined to just sand or overboard.

Hi there thanks for the reply.

fortunately they are not nailed in the gap 2 nails in the top. I know as they squeaked and I didn't want to have to lift originally so I used Spax flooring screws to sink a screw by the side of each nail to crank the boards down stopping all sound for the entire first floor. Couple of thousand were used throughout the first floor of the house.

Just cant work out if they "should be removed" for what ever is in them or just overboard and hope it doesn't cause any issue?

I just don't know if any issue could arise from leaving them there like that. Ie if it could cause any issues when underlay and new carpets go down? I'm just unsure. Maybe sand, then seal it then overboard?

The worse case is some issue comes up or it damages the carpet and we have to empty the room and re-place then and tehn replace carpet etc. But I just don't know if that could ever happen or not.

It would definitely be a pain in the butt to remove them all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back