Wood drill bits at 0.1 mm incraments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone point me in the direction of a retailer that sells drill bits for wood in 0.1 mm increments? Im looking for a 12.2mm drill bit. I found 1 or 2 that are sold for upwards of £70! Is that the going price or do they sell for cheaper?

Sponsored Links
Why do you need 12.2mm?

Sponsored Links
It's a follow up to the floating shelves debacle: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/floating-shelves-avice-needed.626049/#post-5732488 There are plenty of online retailers even amazon or dare I say it you could phone up a local tool shop.
Decarcle? Amazon don't sell a 12.2mm drill bit for wood. They sell the jobber drill bit but the product description says its for metal. I'm asking here becuase I already make enquiries and could find it. If it bothers you then don't reply

Decarcle? Amazon don't sell a 12.2mm drill bit for wood. They sell the jobber drill bit but the product description says its for metal. I'm asking here becuase I already make enquiries and could find it. If it bothers you then don't reply
A drill bit for metal will easily drill timber.

Metal drill bit, will easily drill wood. A wood bit will simply drill a little faster, and would not cope with metal.

Here you go Poppet

Last time I checked timber was softer than metal you Idiot, time to ensure I don't bother replying to your crappy threads anymore. Try reading the other replies you've already had and use a spellcheck too, get yourself some self respect.

we need to put some context here
holes in wood are give or take 1mm in general around the shaft always with clearance as wood moves 'expand and contracts drilling for the thread should be around 0.5mm less than screw size
in general the countersunk head is the only real point off gteed contact and hold so less than 1mm is never really used as near enough as its wood not engineering
in wood you often use slots off several mm on wider surfaces to allow movement

what exactly is the desperate need to get 12.2mm for??

Last edited:
Just use a 12.5mm drill bit
Or failing that a 1/2” drill bit which is 12.7mm

You need a bit of tolerance

we need to put some context here
holes in wood are give or take 1mm in general around the shaft always with clearance as wood moves 'expand and contracts drilling for the thread should be around 0.5mm less than screw size
in general the countersunk head is the only real point off gteed contact and hold so less than 1mm is never really used as near enough as its wood not engineering
in wood you often use slots off several mm on wider surfaces to allow movement

what exactly is the desperate need to get 12.2mm for??
I drilled holes in a solid floating shelf with a 12mm drill bit. The floating shelf bracket 12mm diameter rods are a bit too right and don't go in all the way. I tried to drill again to extend the holes by a bit with some success bit it's still not completely sorted. I thought using 12.2mm bit will a solution but maybe that's not the right way of going about it.

Last edited:
iff you think off it a 12.5 or 12.7mm[half inch] drill bit might seem sloppy but your shelf will do no more than sit on the top off the rods
even iff you lever on the front edge the most you will get is the back taking up the slack, so perhaps 0.5mm different and you won't see that

iff you think off it a 12.5 or 12.7mm[half inch] drill bit might seem sloppy but your shelf will do no more than sit on the top off the rods
even iff you lever on the front edge the most you will get is the back taking up the slack, so perhaps 0.5mm different and you won't see that
I could use a 12.5 or 12.7 drill bit as you suggest but these won't fit in my drill block used to drill holes that are square. I don't have a pillar drill unfortunately but my drill block will fit a drill bit marginally larger than 12mm hence my idea, albeit daft, to maybe get a 12.2mm drill bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back