Recent content by GreyBana

  1. GreyBana

    Two Way Lighting - Which way to do it?

    Thanks ebee! That's helpful. I actually don't mind the sound of "second option version b", keeps all the connections in one central place, so it would make my addition of the Zigbee relay very easy!
  2. GreyBana

    Two Way Lighting - Which way to do it?

    I'll take your word for it in your example, but I understand the gist of what you're saying. Sounds like it's a case-by-case thing that I should draw out before doing, so I'll have either an easier time of running the cables or potentially less cables to run in total. Thanks for the explainer...
  3. GreyBana

    Two Way Lighting - Which way to do it?

    But if, say, the switch in the porch was substantially further away, then it would make more sense to go with Pete's suggestion, as it would save on cabling? I assume that's the main difference in the two approaches, how much cable you use depending on the position of the switches? Also, is one...
  4. GreyBana

    Two Way Lighting - Which way to do it?

    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Some junction box in the porch ceiling to pull it all together.
  5. GreyBana

    Two Way Lighting - Which way to do it?

    This is the rough layout (cross section of the elevation). House on the left, newly built porch on the right. Supply is the red line, lights are yellow and switches grey. It will be two two way switches (and I might be including a Zigbee smart relay for the outside light), but I'm happy to...
  6. GreyBana

    Two Way Lighting - Which way to do it?

    Yeah, perhaps that's it. The way I thought of approaching it seems simpler logically, but the way you and my electrician friend are suggesting sounds like it could be practically simpler. "put a 3 core and earth between the two switches" does take a lot of thought out of it. Thanks
  7. GreyBana

    Two Way Lighting - Which way to do it?

    Thanks Pete. That looks to be the same way that my electrician friend was suggesting. When both options are in the wiki (and therefore, I assume viable), my question is why choose one over the other?
  8. GreyBana

    Two Way Lighting - Which way to do it?

    Hopefully a nice and easy one for all you pros, but this is my first time wiring up a two way light circuit. I have a friend that's a retired electrician (still does the odd bit of work on the side) and he's given me some advice, but before I sought his help I came up with this: This makes a...
  9. GreyBana

    Leaky Soil Pipe

    Noted, thanks. and "nasty looking" was aimed solely at the tape! :p
  10. GreyBana

    Leaky Soil Pipe

    Wow, that stuff looks hideous lol. Something that nasty looking must be good! Nice to have another option to try, thanks. Also considering Flashband as an alternative now.
  11. GreyBana

    Leaky Soil Pipe

    Thanks. I'll pull it apart as far as I can and at least clean around the rubber seal as best I can. If that doesn't sort it, I'll have a look at some some grease!
  12. GreyBana

    Leaky Soil Pipe

    I recently hit an underground soil pipe while digging, bit of a bummer, but no big deal, we were excavating anyway, so we cut a new length, re-attached with a slip-coupling and dropped it in. However, the other end (pictured below) going into the inspection chamber (right) now drips (you can see...
  13. GreyBana

    Central heating layout. This should work, right?

    Unfortunately it doesn't look like my boiler manual does have any plumbing diagrams. It has wiring diagrams, but nothing relating to plumbing schematics. Anything generic anyone can point me to? On the up side, I finished up the gravity fed system today and it seems to work (bar one radiator...
  14. GreyBana

    Central heating layout. This should work, right?

    Camray 3 Yep. Took a while to get through, but got a friendly old boy on the phone. Well FFS. Since speaking to the Worcester guy, I found the actual manual in a bunch of paperwork that the previous owners left when we bought the property. I took the Worcester guy at his word, but your comment...
  15. GreyBana

    Central heating layout. This should work, right?

    It's a Boulter Camray 40/50. That was the initial plan, but during my research, I spoke to the boiler manufacturer (or the company that bought Boulter, who then bought that company) and they said that their documentation didn't say that it could be part of a pressurised system, so it would be...
Back
Top