Recent content by tuck1s

  1. T

    Hive for main house CH, now adding an underfloor heated zone

    We have a Hive thermostat in the hallway, controlling CH + HW for the house. We have the Hive hub (connected to an Ethernet switch and from there to our mesh wifi) + the app on the phone, working well. Our extension will have a new water underfloor heating "zone" controlled with a manifold (see...
  2. T

    Thermowatt immersion heater - cable strain relief

    Just to confirm, the self-tapping screw did fit nicely in the side of the cable strain relief. Job done, using 3183TQ heat-resistant cable. Our local CEF branch offers a "cut cable to length" service, so it was less than £4.
  3. T

    Thermowatt immersion heater - cable strain relief

    This PDF is identical to the small paper leaflet that came with the unit. It shows a the different method of mounting. Whereas digging around online I found this method which seems to be exactly what I would need to do...
  4. T

    Thermowatt immersion heater - cable strain relief

    We had a new Joule hot water cylinder fitted in November '24 (along with a new boiler, and a change to be an unvented, pressurised system). The immersion heater (pictured) was fitted to the cylinder, but not wired up despite us having the double-pole switch nearby (from the old one). Not sure...
  5. T

    Tall rad not working (has never worked well), suspect lockshield valve?

    Checked last night - and the rad is now getting warm - similar to the other ones in the house, after getting the lockshield open approx 1 turn. I think the whole system needs a powerflush and a magnaclean. The boiler is a Potterton, quite old now but still working. There's no kettling so that...
  6. T

    Tall rad not working (has never worked well), suspect lockshield valve?

    Also our daughter's place is built in 1995, smallish boiler for the size of the house, and NO MagnaClean or similar. Open vented system, likely to be full of old crap as well. Even if they don't change the boiler soon, I think they should get a MagnaClean fitted (not by me !!)
  7. T

    Tall rad not working (has never worked well), suspect lockshield valve?

    Ouch. A good experiment for us to try. I read somewhere that they have fine internal holes. I wonder if it's got clogged up during or after the installation. The installation instructions for similar models do not suggest there is any flow direction that needs to be honoured. However they are...
  8. T

    Tall rad not working (has never worked well), suspect lockshield valve?

    Thanks. Rad is Ximax Champion Duplex Vertical Designer Radiator, White (W)410mm (H)1800mm. Weird that the Danfoss PDF I linked to shows an anticlockwise motion, diagram bottom of page 2. It's unclear which action it relates to.
  9. T

    Tall rad not working (has never worked well), suspect lockshield valve?

    See pics. This is in our daughter's house so the info I have is not complete. The previous rad was replaced during their kitchen refurb., approx 2 years ago The new vertical rad was supposed to be better than what was there before, but it isn't (currently) and has never worked properly. The...
  10. T

    Pressurised hot water cylinder venting

    Thank you. I found the procedure in the manual for the cylinder and followed it just now. It took in a fair amount of air so that's probably vanquished the dragon for a while.
  11. T

    Pressurised hot water cylinder venting

    You're correct. The inlet pressure is marked as 3.0 bar, but the relief valves are labelled as 8.0 bar and 10.0 bar. Model 200L Cyclone Air Indirect. Yes, the pump expels water in the tundish to the outside. I think it was the only option for routing the exhaust water.
  12. T

    Pressurised hot water cylinder venting

    We've got a ~10 months old Joule pressurised 200 litre hot water cylinder, replacing a 25 year old cylinder. It is protected with two pressure valves (3 bar I believe) that join via a "Y" shaped pipe then drain through a little "open" bit (a tundish?) down to a powerful pump that scoots water...
Back
Top