2 Gang 1 way replaced by 2 gang 2 way switch, 2 way NOT REQ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this is not quite UK electrics but I have had no success from the correct forum so I hope someone may be able to at least suggest something as I cannot return them to the shop.

I have inadvertently bought a 2 gang - 2 way switch to operate a 2 gang 1 way connection.
The current wiring for 2 gang 1 way is; 1 red wire at the bottom and 2 black at the top.
I have tried this on the new switch but without success.

Unfortunately as I am in Portugal, the new light switch only has numbers which are; 1 & 2 on the bottom, 3 & 4 on the top, with L5 & L6 in the middle.
There is no earth wire available.

The red wire(live) comes from a spur behind the switch which gets its live from 2 other red wires which are blocked together.

I do not want to operate via 2 way, just a normal 1 position on-off if this is possible.

Thank you for any help you can suggest.

Sponsored Links
Perfectly possible. Just wire to each end of the switch, if they work upside down turn the switch over.

Or not.

Maybe L5 & L6 are the Common terminals.

Should be easy enough to find out though - SteelRain, just use your multimeter to establish which terminals are connected together for each position of the rockers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back