2 gang 2 way light switch help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice please. In my kitchen I have a switch at each end operating one light. The switch on one end is a pull switch, the other is a 2 way 1 gang rocker type. What I would like to do is to fit some low voltage lights under the wall units.
Can I replace the 2 way one gang switch with a 2 way 2 gang switch. So that one side of the switch operates the new low voltage lights, and the other still operates the 2 way light.
I would not be sure of the connections to the new 2 gang switch. I know that the original wiring is 3 core & earth. It might be that I have to use two seperate switches.
Your help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Point 1. Kitchens and (Extra) Low Voltage lights are part P work!

That said, the answer is, basically, yes - a 2G switch is just 2 switches manufactured as a conjoined twin. The 1G 2W switch can be replaced with a 2G 2W switch and the extra lighting circuit run off the other way. The first way of the 2 way switch should be wired identically to the existing 1way (there are a couple of different methods to wire 2 way switches so wiring identically will ensure you don't create problems). The other way will be wired normally using L1 and C for the switching cores, T+E up to the point that earthing is no longer required by the ELV system.

tomjollydee said:
Some advice please. In my kitchen I have a switch at each end operating one light. The switch on one end is a pull switch, the other is a 2 way 1 gang rocker type. What I would like to do is to fit some low voltage lights under the wall units.
Can I replace the 2 way one gang switch with a 2 way 2 gang switch. So that one side of the switch operates the new low voltage lights, and the other still operates the 2 way light.
I would not be sure of the connections to the new 2 gang switch. I know that the original wiring is 3 core & earth. It might be that I have to use two seperate switches.
Your help would be much appreciated, thank you.

you can, but you would need to provide a feed and neutral for your light.

i am reading it that you may be asking can you take the feed for your new lights from the existing switch, which you can't

Thanks for your replys
Breezer. I was hoping to leave in the original wiring for original light on one side of the switch, and the new lights to use the other side of the switch, junction box in the roof etc[/quote]

Sponsored Links
thats fine, but junction boxes need to be accessable, you could alwys take a feed from existing light, see sticky for refeerance

Breezer. I am new to this website, I am afraid I do not no whay you mean by sticky. Please could you explain. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back