2 way gang spaghetti junction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there diyers, just needing a little help with the two way gang switch. removed a one way switch for a 2 way gang so i can get 2 different sets of lights working but i'm going mad cant seem to get it right could anybody plz help.

Sponsored Links
100% more info required!!

How many conductors at the switch position? What colours? How many cables in total? Where the lights switched from two positions in the room?

Hint: A cable may have 3 conductors.....a red insulated one, a black insulated one, and a bare earth, all sheathed in an outer wrapping of PVC.....

Ignore earths for now, just tell us what other cores you have.

theres a red going to com and a black with red sleave round it going to L1,
wich feeds kitchen light. i want to wire a small strip light under cabinet to two gang 2 way switch... strip light has one brown one blue wire... thanks

You have no neutral at the switch, so unless you can renew the cable that comes to the switch with a new peice of three core + earth, you are stuck.

Can you pick up from a socket close by, put a Fused Connection Unit next to the socket, fit a 3amp fuse, bingo. Either that or use a standard plug-top.

Not as easy as you first thought :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
i do have a cooker socket next to the switch were i could try that, but... how do i put a fuse conection there? :?:

The cooker switch if dedicated to the cooker - best to leave alone.

Is there a cooker hood?

there is a plug socket on the cooker switch as well should i leave this alone as well or can i use if for the nuteral.?

You MUST NOT borrow just the neutral from one circuit to use with another one - it's all or nothing!

Please don't take offence but from your questions I think you need to learn more about electrics before attempting to do anything - it's too dangerous an activity to be doing on the basis of instructions that you follow without any understanding of what's going on, and why you are doing it. Yes this is a DIY advice forum, but there is a limit to how appropriate is for basic training.

If you look at my list of recommended books, you should get the first two to help with learning the basics, and the second two to learn about the regulations that apply.

Talking of which - unless you live in Scotland, the work you are proposing to do is supposed to be notified to LABC before you start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back