2G loft socket from immersion FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone..

I am wanting to install a 2G socket up in the loft to power a small 8-port POE switch and a CCTV NVR. The only way I can see of getting power up to the loft space is to run a length of 2.5mm T&E up from an existing FCU which currently powers an unused timer and subsequently the "emergency" immersion heater.

Would it be ok for me to install another switched FCU near to the existing one and just pull the power from that feed to feed up to the 2G socket I'm hoping to install into the loft space?

Thanks in advance for any help/hints/tips.

Regards

Chris

open
open
open

Attachments

• IMG_19930.JPG
    IMG_19930.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 122
Sponsored Links
In general terms - yes, you can do that - assuming everything is wired correctly.

What is the rating of the fuse or MCB in the consumer unit that controls the circuit - 15A or 16A?

If, it is then an FCU is not necessary for the immersion heater, nor your additional socket.

Thanks for the quick reply... I was under the impression that the existing switched FCU in the airing cupboard was there (its always off) just to be able to keep the timer and IH off as its not needed?

The MCB on the CU is a 16A one and, according to its labeling, only controls the immersion heater. Glad to hear that this sounds like a relatively straight forward job :)

I was under the impression that the existing switched FCU in the airing cupboard was there (its always off) just to be able to keep the timer and IH off as its not needed?
It is - but because the circuit is 16A the 13A fuse is not necessary and sometimes they do not like the 12.5A continuous load of immersions.

As it appears to be alright, just connect your socket cable to the supply/feed/in side of the FCU. No need for a second FCU.
I presume you will not want to switch off the loft socket.

You could, if you want, replace the FCU with a 20A switch.

Sponsored Links
No as it's for a small switch and NVR it will need to be on continuously.

Thanks again for your input on this!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back