4 gang light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what should be a simple issue :) Sorry for the essay, i got a bit carried away!

I have a 4-gang light switch

1 - Outside halogen light, 1-way
2 - not used (used to be for a load of garden lights since removed)
3 - Twin conservatory lights, 1-way
4 - Kitchen light, 2-way

We had some work done last year requiring scaffolding, which was stupidly errected right underneath the outside halogen light. Light was left on and nearly set the lot on fire... absolute cowboys. Anyway, when the sparks came round later that day I asked him to disconnect the light and he took out a small wire (looks like a loop wire, it's yellow). He said I just need to put that back when the scaffolding is gone and it will work again. I took a photo and of course, cannot find it!

So, that small yellow wire must go between L1 on switch 1 and somewhere else, but I cannot figure out where.

This is what I assume the wires are, in my limited knowledge..
4 - Common goes to common on the other switch, L1 goes to live and L1 on the other switch, L2 goes to the light (switched live) and L2 on the other switch.

3 - Common is live, L1 has two switched lives going to the two lights

2 - nothing used

1 - common is live, what is the yellow wire with the blue tape? Surely that's the incoming live to the socket but doesn't yellow/blue represent switched live?

So I presume the little yellow wire the sparks took out must go between L1 on switch 1 and somewhere else, surely that must go to the switched live to power the outside light? I was sure when I watched him he took it from two terminals inside the switch, but now I'm thinking that red wire going to an empty terminal block in the background is actually the switched live going to the outside light and in fact the small yellow wire goes in to that.

I can turn the electric off and bell test that wire to see if it goes to the outside light but I wanted to just post the details here as my knowledge of residential electrics is limited. This may be really obvious to someone else!

Cheers,
Dan.

Sponsored Links
I detect someone has been tinkering, the way your switch 1 is wired your halogen light would be permanently ON, so your description cannot be correct. Best to pay a spark to sort it out.

That's exactly what I thought hence posting it up on here to see if i'm missing something. My assumptions are exactly that, I have no idea what that yellow wire with the blue tape is, it cant be switched live going out to the halogen light or it would be on all the time as you say.

It's just frustrating knowing that it's a case of connecting one wire to get that light working again and the sparks is on hols.

To be clear, i've not had anything to do with any of the wiring in this switch, i've simply isolated the supply and taken the front off to try and make sense of how it's connected. What you see is what the spark left and it all works fine, other than the outside halogen light which is permanently off.

Last edited:
Well, I don't think anyone here can help, best to wait for your spark to get back, unless he flew with Monarch.

Sponsored Links
Red in the floating block ? Maybe that goes to the bottom of switch 1

Or that could've for your disconnected garden lights :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back