4 red wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can help! I have removed a light switch from the wall to decorate. I didn't remove any of the wires but one of them must have been loose as when the now free switch was touched, the other lights on the loop flickered.

While I was moving the light switch, the other lights on the loop went out and now I can't get them on again. Thing is, the trip switch is OK and 3 of the lights on the 8 light loop still work (including the one with the loose wire).

I had a look behind and I appear to have 4 red wires connecting to the switch. It's a 2-way switch but should be being used as a one-way. There are two wires in the 1-way hole and one wire in the common hole. The fourth wire was loose. I tried connecting the fourth wire to the 2-way and to the common but have had no joy.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Tony.

PS. I have digital pics if it'll help.

Sponsored Links
I've had another look at my picture. I think I have 4 separate wire sets coming into the switch box.

Two red wires are connected to L1. One red wire is connected to common. One red wire isn't connected to anything.

Four black wires are connected together to a plastic connecter-thing (sorry - don't know the technical term, but it's separate from the light switch).

Four earth wires are grouped as pairs and connected to the back of the metal switch box.

Anyone have any ideas now?

Ta.
Tony.

I can only go by what i read, so if you only have one switch and 4 wires 3 which are connected, the red wire must go into one of the two teminals, since there is no where else for it to go.

my instinct tells me it will not work (i presume they are all tight)

you are saying 4 wires (i am only counting red) 3 terminals 2 red in one one in anotehr and 1 "spare"

can you veryfy what each terminal is called and which wires go into which terminal, exactly

Sponsored Links
Hi Breezer,

Thanks for your update. I fixed it last night. What I had, was 2 red in the 1-way and 1 red in the common.

All wires were tight. And it didn't look like there was much room in the 1-way for a third wire.

I read a bit on the web about how things should look yesterday and none agreed with how this switch was wired! But I understood a bit more and knew it had been working before. I tried the spare wire in the common hole and this didn't work. So I put the spare wire in the 1-way (now three red wires in the 1-way). This worked and I have all my lights back.

Also now have electrical cover with the gas board for £3.25 per month incase this happens when I get to some of the other rooms!

Cheers.
Tony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back