Accommodation Certificate for visit to France for less than 3 months

Reaction score
Country
France
Just to correct what I said before about Accommodation certificates not needed for visits of less than three months for UK nationals. That was incorrect.
They are needed for family visits of less than three months where the guest is staying with friends or family, even though a visa is not required.
I assume the Reception Certificate is required at immigration control.
This website gives the details:
The reception certificate concerns any foreigner wishing to stay in France for less than 3 months, as part of a private or family visit.
https://www.demarches.interieur.gouv.fr/particuliers/attestation-accueil
UK nationals staying for less that three months without a visa are not exempt, if they are staying with friends or family.
I assume that a booking confirmation or similar is sufficient if the visitor is staying at a hotel, gites or similar.
Please don't ask me what visitors do who simply intend to travel and have no bookings, because I don't know the answer.

There are some exemptions, but simply being a UK national is not one of them.

The same form accompanies a visa application if a visa is required.

Having completed a Reception/Accommodation Certificate in the past for non-EU visitors, the process is relatively simple and painless. There is a website for downloading the application form.

Sponsored Links
Good thing 20 odd years ago I promised myself never to set foot in froggyland again!

Theres about 65 million people who are very pleased that you made that decision.

Sponsored Links
Yes, in my younger days, we rarely had any accommodation booking, we'd just up and away, not just France, but all of EU. I think we did about 7 countries on one trip alone.
Pre Euro/EU days were less easy, stopping at motorway services, and realising you didn't have the correct currency, and being stopped and searched (i.e. empty the car of all luggage!) especially between Andorra/Spain/France.

If and when any explanation for what is required arises, I'll post it, but as yet it's an unknown.

Just reading on an expat site today, even newly acquired Irish passport holders are being caught out.
They were entitled to an Irish passport, so they acquired one, and allowed their UK passport to expire. Although being in the French medical system for many years, their UK financed medical cover was retracted (by UK) because they were no longer a UK passport holder.
An Irish passport did not cover any medical expenses because they had never paid into the Irish system.
The Irish S1 (the form which transfers all health etc entitlements to the adopted country) is separate and distinct from the UK S1 form and system.
So they still need a UK passport to be entitled to health cover in France, and they need their Irish passport to guarantee freedom of movement.
They're currently awaiting delivery of the UK passport and hoping it arrives before end of June for the cut-off date for residence permit applications, although they don't need a residence permit due to their Irish passport, they do need it for their medical cover.

Not long to go.

IMO first thing tomorrow they should start looking into the logistics of coming here to expedite the passport issue (visiting the ironically named Petty France?).

Back