Achieving "oak effect" using varnish or oil ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi... Not really sure if this belongs in the painting/decorating forum or the woodworking forum...
I am wanting to create a timber mantle piece over my fire surround and want the finished effect to be what I would call "oak effect" similar to the link below (perhaps slightly shinier)....
https://www.therange.co.uk/furnitur.../coffee-tables/davenport-coffee-table/#170007

I'm not sure what would be the best wood to use but may end up getting a piece of "oak furniture board" from B&Q...
https://www.diy.com/departments/oak-furniture-board-l-1200mm-w-300mm-t-25mm/1015744_BQ.prd

but then need to oil or varnish it to look how I want.

Can anyone offer advice as to whether I would need to use varnish or oil (Danish oil ?)
Alternatively, any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you are wanting the effect of Graining. To do it properly you put on a base coat (not oil) and then use a graining comb or often these days a rubber textured tool to simulate the grain using another shade of colour. Can look very good but takes a bit of practice. Have a Google for Graining and have a read up.(y)

Last edited:
You can also do it by using wood dyes (not stain) in different colours.

The spirit based (not water based) by colron or other brands. Surprisingly Wilko have a good range that you can order online for collection from your local shop. I have also used Blackfriar (?) You can clean the brushes in White Spirit. If using a spirit wood preserver such as Cuprinol Clear do it first as it will wash off the dye.

Liberon do an alcohol based range that I have not tried.

Put the lightest colour on first, all over with a 2-inch then when dry, grain with the darker ones one at a time using a small artists brush. It must be dry before you add, or it will run. Work fast and lightly. You can go over light with dark but not the other way round or it will bleed.

There are only a few base colours, brown, red, yellow and black that they mix and call walnut/mahogany/oak/cedar etc and you can mix your own for a different tint. Shake and stir constantly as the pigment settles. A tall narrow glass jar is best.

Varnish when fully dry.

It works best in hardwood, including veneered ply, probably because it is less absorbent. You must work with the grain or it will bleed.

Sponsored Links
If you want to see the finest example of graining as @footprints describes, look at the internal doors in the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square. They are done to resemble fine red Honduran mahogany.

You will also find it in stately homes, including the servants quarters and kitchens which may have been done to resemble oak, but to a lower and unconvincing standard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back