Additional radiator on system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm after a bit of help please. I would like to diy fit an extra radiator onto my central heating system.

System info:
I have a "s" plan system with a 24kw worcester system boiler. The system was installed when the house was built around 15 years ago (new boiler about 2 years ago). The boiler currently powers 12 other rads + hot water with a total heat requirement of around 18kw. The pipework is all copper in varying sizes from 22mm reducing to 15mm in places with all rads being fed by 8mm.

I would like to put a radiator in our conservatory. I've tried a few online radiator size calculators and i need a radiator that has an output of around 8900btu's. I am unsure of the correct pipe size i would require in order to connect the radiator up. The radiator would be 10m away from the nearest existing 22mm pipework. My plan at the moment is to connect to the nearest 22mm pipework using 15mm pipework (polypipe) and using copper where visible. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated ?

Many thanks

Nigel

Sponsored Links
You should allow for the conservatory pipes to be isolated and drained separately. That way, it can be unheated in cold weather.

Alternatively, you might want a frost-stat out there to override the CH main timer. In severe cold you might find the CH running 24x7 to prevent the conservatory pipes freezing.

You can't do that I'm afraid, as of October 2010 Building Regulations have banned the installation of radiators in a conservatory, the conservatory must be heated by a completely separate and independent heat source.

Sponsored Links
But, maybe you fitted it just before the new regs came in. Possibly in 2009. ;) ;) ;)

Ha ha yes that's it. I've already fitted it back in early in 2009 using 15mm pipe as was planned ;) Thanks to all for your help and advice.

I'll let you know how i get on and fingers crossed the rad gets hot enough !

Cheers

Nigel

Yes, sometimes with a little bit of ingenuity, the impossible becomes possible. ;)

Whitespirit66 (A time-served, time-travelling plumber)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back