Additional Sockets in a Bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice required for a first time poster....

I want to add additional sockets in a bedroom that currently only has two double outlets on opposite walls. I want to add two additional double outlets on one of the walls. Unfortunately the socket on that wall appears to be a spur.

Can I take an additional feed from that socket to my additional two sockets IF I put a 13A fuse in the circuit first? Would that require the circuit from the fuse to be a 'mini' ring?

I was hoping this would be a simple job but having browsed the forum I'm now wondering if I should just get a qualified electrician in....

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you can have as many accessories as you want on a fused spur, remember to place the FCU before the existing outlet though, and no there is no need whatsoever to make a 'mini-ring' a radial from the FCU load side is all you need.

I'd be tempted to lift the floor and see if I could find the ring (its probably been cut and JB'ed to feed the spur socket [unless there is a socket the otherside of the wall from the spur socket?]) and put all the outlets directly on the ring

Thanks Very mush Adam. Maybe I'll try it myself after all..

One more question though - the room is currently stripped ready for plastering so I'm planning to chop out channels and put the cables in the wall. Do I need to put them in some kind of tubing or can I just plaster over the 2.5mm cables?

Thanks again.

aspendl828 said:
One more question though - the room is currently stripped ready for plastering so I'm planning to chop out channels and put the cables in the wall. Do I need to put them in some kind of tubing or can I just plaster over the 2.5mm cables?

Thanks again.

You don't have to put anything in (I'm assuming you plan to run the cables strictly hrozontally and vertically in line with the sockets?), but doing so allows a little slack to be drawn up if need be, and also affords protection from the plastering trowel, and possible chemical effects of the plaster. Also think about how you will hold the cables in to plaster over them, if you use clips, then the nails in them could rust and dis-colour the finished surface of the wall.

So not required, but a very nice touch

Oval conduit is a nice way of doing things, or pvc (or even metal) capping can be used

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice Adam. I've decided to get someone qualified in to have a look.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back