Advice for insulating and boarding old bungalow loft (2x4 joists)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I am thinking of properly doing my loft up (at last) but would be really grateful for some initial advice.

It is a 1930s bungalow with 2x4 joists.

There are patchy bits of fibreglass in areas and other parts filled with vermiculite - there are various bits of boards in parts and areas which are just bare.

I am thinking of just putting down fresh fibreglass everywhere and then putting some interlocking chipboard loftboards over the top.

The current regulations seem to suggest that 270mm is the norm, which is not really going to be an option for me.

Further, you apparently need a 50mm airgap between the top of the insulation and the top of the loft board.

Any advice on what to do would be much appreciated.

My initial thought is to run some (2x2, or even 2x2) timbers perpendicular to the current joists and just put some 100mm insulation down - seems the best I can do, but allows the airgap as well. Can then fix the loftboard to the new timber on top.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back