Advice for prepping a plastered ceiling for painting

D

dm999

Hi, I've just stripped the paper from a ceiling and will be emulsioning it as it's in very good order. I'd like some advice on the prep please.

So far I've stripped the paper off and will wash the ceiling with sugar soap next to remove any paste residue before carrying out a few minor repairs with filler.

The ceiling is bare plaster and I'd like to know if I need to apply PVA and/or a dilute coat of emulsion before applying the emulsion coats? It's a 1950's house.

Cheers, DM.

Sponsored Links
After ensuring the ceiling has all traces of paste residue removed with soapy water (rather than sugar soap on bare plaster) . When wet, most of the paste can be scraped away with a wide bladed scraper and the rest removed with a sponge. Rinse and allow to dry.
You then only need to apply a mist coat of emulsion watered down approximately 25% to seal the bare plaster (non vinyl Contract Matt is preferred but standard vinyl can also be used). PVA is unsuitable to seal any surface that you intend to paint.

When removing the paste from plaster skim it is unwise to charge the skim with any form of detergent, warm water only should be used. When you are satisfied that you have both removed the paste and the skim is dry you can then apply your mist coat, when dry you can then apply your filler and after sanding you should then mist over the filled areas.

Dec

Thanks for the guidance misterhelfpul & TheDec, very much appreciated.
Cheers, DM.

Sponsored Links
The guys are right but you know what? cleaning paste off a ceiling is such a ball ache i'd scrape off the worst whilst stripping and then hit it with zinnser gardz which will also seal the plaster so you can skip the mist coat

dcdec - thanks for the tip, I have 5 more ceilings to do so will bear that in mind too.

Cheers, DM.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back