Advice Needed on Painting My Hallway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the middle of doing our hallway in our flat (Council Flat which was not left in a good state by last person)and i wanted some tips on a few things.

I have painted the ceeling with a miss coat of matt dulux white paint and 1 normal coat. The walls have been wall papered in the last week
with a small foam textured paper. I did size the wall before the paper and its now ready to paint.

The woodwork, skirting and 6 doors was sanded down a while back and have been cleaned ready to paint.

My questions are

1, When is it best to paint the last coat of paint on the celling, Before or After i paint the walls?

2, As its a hallway i was looking at using a dulux silk paint as the area gets used alot. Is this a good type to use?

3, on most of the area's where the paper meets the skirting and woodwork there is some gap's and dents in the wood. Is caulking ok to use before i paint both the wall and skirting or should i just paint over these as i have a vision of caulk making it look worst?

4, On the skirting and doors is it best to undercoat before i use white gloss?

5, I also have an half inch gap between the wood around the door and the door look as to much wood was cut out when fitted. Is it ok to fill this with caulk and paint or does caulk react to the metel that the look is made from.

Sorry about all the questions. Was not sure which way to do things to get the best results and wanted to make sure i do it correct and with the correct products so i know what to buy.

Chris

Sponsored Links
1 - before 2 - use a matt washable , silk looks awful :mad: 3 - caulk is ok. smooth with wet sponge /finger 4 - yes 5 - Ok. fine ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back