Advice on sealing pipe through flat roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise me the best way of sealing a 28mm copper pipe through a flat asphalt roof? I am a gas engineer and have explored all other ways around this but this is my only option.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
contact www.stovesonling.co.uk they do flue seals but may suggest something for 28mm pipe.

How I saw one done. Piece of sheet lead about 150 - 200 mm square.
You need to have something thats round at the end near the size of the pipe. Suggest a wood door or draw knob fixed to a piece of wood and held in a vice [this is your 'former'.] Now place the centre of the lead sheet over the former and gently, using a block of wood, dress the lead around the knob to form a blister but not that you penetrate the lead when dressing. Now take a piece of the 28mm copper pipe and apply to the centre of the invert of the blister and twist to mark, check it's as near as possible centre.

Keep working away with the pipe until it pierces the lead, push the copper pipe through what should be a niece fit. Dress the lead against the pipe so it's like a tube of lead emerging from the sheet which will be the patch apron. Slide the lead over the pipe coming through the roof and mark the top of the lead on the pipe and another mark 25mm further UP the pipe. Mark around the apron sheet on the asphalt Remove the lead.

Clean the copper tube coming through the roof and tin with lead solder from just below the first mark up to the second mark on the pipe .
Inside the apron marks on the asphalt apply lead seal sealant its colour is grey [builders merchant]

Slide the lead sheet back on to the copper tube with [obvious] the tube in the lead facing up, Gently flatten the lead on to the sealant on the asphalt. Gently [you know as a fitter] play heat to the lead and solder to seal the lead to the copper adding more solder if required.[me telling a gas engineer how to do a solder joint.. What next!. When cooled you could add sealant around the pipe joint. Apply more around the edge of the sheet to make sure its sealed. Job done. Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back