advices needed if posible re:employment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just picking all brains, currently i my main business is domestic & commercial window cleaning. i also do property maintenance, which through word of mouth has suddenly taken a leap. I now have been and asked to quote for a rather big exterior paint jobbie on a 3 storey (flats) property.

My question is.. if i was to employ say 1 or 2 painters to help on the job, do i pay them a day rate and if so what ££ is acceptable, or do i pay them by the hour. I havent had to employ anyone else as yet, as all jobs i have had this year have been small enough to do on my own.

any advices welcome. i am located in North Devon.

regards

Tony Jones

Sponsored Links
My question is.. if i was to employ say 1 or 2 painters to help on the job, do i pay them a day rate and if so what ££ is acceptable, or do i pay them by the hour.

You can pay them by the day or by the hour, provided you pay more than the National Minimum Wage.

You will need to register as an employer with HMRC and deduct the appropriate tax and NI contributions, and pay employer's NI contributions.

You will also need employer liability insurance, to update your public liability and professional indemnity insurance to cover employees, and issue your employees with any personal protective equipment they require.

I don't know how the Construction Industry Scheme works or whether that would be helpful to you.

Using an employment agency will take care of most of the above for you (apart from PPE and other H&S issues) but will probably charge double the hourly rate they pay to the workers.

If it's a one off job then pay good money for a couple of self employed painters who already have their own insurance, get them to invoice you for materials only, pay them, you get paid, job done.

. . . get them to invoice you for materials only, pay them, you get paid, job done.

They invoice you for the full amount they are owed but the invoice details materials only . . . to avoid the CIS nonsense? hmm that could be a good idea!

Sponsored Links
To the OP: If you want to do this all above board you will either have to employ the painters (PAYE) or they will have to be registered with the tax man as subcontractors and you will have to be registered as a contractor, within the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), take their tax off them when you pay them and make monthly returns to the revenue. It's an absolute pain in the @rse, it seems the government don't want tradespeople to work together and thus be able to offer a better service to customers.

Or you could just ask to be paid in cash :rolleyes:

Back