Air-Con

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Owned car from new, 5yrs and 60K miles now.
Advised to leave a/c on gives least problems ... Seems so !!
Still works great .... Bought a little humidity gauge from garden centre, gives an idea how system is performing .... a thermometer is interesting too !!
It has been quite humid of late, nice to see the gauge steadily moving back into the normal range after several miles driving, ... can even do a rudimentary gauge calibration, (not necessary as we are only looking for a change in humidity) wrap in soaked towel for an hour, then screw adjuster to set 100% humidity.

If leaving a/c on loses 3 mpg fuel cons. But windows open also do same thing .... then cost 3mpg for say 3/4 year ... In my case approx £20 per annum .. No problem.

P

Sponsored Links
Ah, but at motorway speeds it is more efficient to use the aircon instead of opening windows. Opening windows at such speeds produces a LOT of drag!

When it is 32 degrees in the shade and you are sweating like Gary Glitter in a Kindergarten, it is difficult to find a reason to NOT turn on the ac.

Leaving it on is best: the more you use it, the less you need it serviced (what a paradox!). If you have automatic climate control it switches it in and out as required.

a/c regularly run ... extends serviceable life.
I believe, lubricant separates out from the gas in the system, irreversably, when unused for a period of time.

I just find it comfortable with a/c on, tho' not for everyone, can increase eye irritations if prone .... Climate control is very nice.
Actually good to go for a drive when weather very humid !
P

Sponsored Links
Back