Air in Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Central Heating Problems

Hope someone can help me figure out this problem.

I seem to be getting air in my central heating system – for the last month or so I regularly have to bleed an upstairs rad which appears to be at the end of the system.

The heating system is getting nosier by the day (assume that’s the air). This morning I switched the room stat up to put the heating on (the timer was ON). Usually there’s a few seconds delay before I hear the boiler fire up – today it must have been several minutes before the boiler fired. I also noticed a small patch of water which had come from the overflow pipe to the F&E tank outside on the path.

The pump appears to be working (its less than 2 years old). I still have hot water (and it doesn’t seem contaminated with central heating water). I rang a plumber who suggested that the feed from the F&E tank to the central heating system may be blocked. I thought this was a good suggestion but if this was the case would I still be able to bleed my upstairs radiator?. I have checked the F&E tank and it’s full. The timer system seems to be functioning as it should. I don’t seem to have any leaks on the system, I have solid floors downstairs and have checked for leaks on all the rads.

My questions:
• How is air getting into my system?
• Why was there a delay from switching the room stat on to the boiler firing?
• What do I need to do to fix it!

I have a two way Siemens valve in the airing cupboard which was changed about 18m ago - could the root of my problems be with this valve?

Sponsored Links
Rad valves can suck air in so check the gland nuts on all valves..
Also corrosion can cause gas/air in rads.

The feed from the cistern could be blocked so you should check it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back