air in radiators

fju

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if you could help.

Our bathroom radiator upstairs has been collecting air for the last few months. The air seems to collect when the heating turns off so that the next time it comes on it requires bleeding. I\\\'ve been regularly bleeding the radiator every few days and this solves the problem for a few days until the air recollects.

Over the last two days however I\\\'ve noticed that all the upstairs radiators and one radiator downstairs has air in it. I therefore bled all the radiators and they worked fine for one day but have now refilled with air. I can\\\'t keep on bleeding all the radiators every other day! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
How would you feel about revealing some of the dark secrets about the rest of your system?

See the sticky topic at the top of P&CH if you need hints.

We have a Halstead Best 50 boiler with 5 radiators downstairs and 4 upstairs. Interestingly over the last week only the bathroom radiator is refilling with air as was the problem initially. The others seem to be OK at the moment. I've heard a term 'pumping over'. What does this mean?

Sponsored Links
'Pumping over' is a colloquial term used in the context of open vented heating systems. It means that water is emerging from the F&E vent pipe.

The condition indicates that the pump is set too high, or that there is a blockage in the pumped circuit (resulting from corrosion), or both.

The remedy usually involves cleaning/flushing out the system, and possibly some/all radiators, to remove sludge and debris.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back