Airlock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have recently fitted three radiators upstairs and therefore turned the water off. Once the radiators were installed we do not have any hot water, the back boiler is working ok and when you turn the water switch on the pipe is getting hot downstairs but not travellling up to the water tank and therefore not heating, I think we may have an airlock? We tried to drain the upstairs tank and the taps were spluttering etc, but after half an hour of this it still has not pushed through. Anyone got any ideas how to get rid of this so we can get hot water?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
More info needed ie is it primatic cylinder or gravity indirect or is it fully pumped what colour is my car

I have no idea to be honest my husband probably would be able to tell you though he is at work and you know how women are being impatient to try and solve a problem, have been without water for three days now and the kettle is getting worn out ha ha. We have a backboiler with pump downstairs, then in one of the bed rooms is a a medium sized platic tank with a smaller one next to it, under that is a cylinder tank which I think is suppose to warm up when the water is switched on you can hear water running when in the bedroom and apparently husband has checked the plastic tanks and said there is water in them. Thought I would try and see if anyone could give him any ideas cos failing that I am phoning a plumber :cry: I think he did mention something about it not being vented :rolleyes:

From your description you have a gravity fed indirect cylinder.So check if small header tank is full of water if it is then you either have a faulty gate valve (they quite easily snap inside when you turn them off) or a blockage possibly on the cold feed where it enters the return pipe.

Sponsored Links
It was the latter of the two, I had been without hot water for over a week and got fed up of my hubby scratching his head, so I had to put my foot down :evil: anyway it was all sorted today plumber came out apparently it was quite a bad airlock and he had to backfed it so my husband was saying. Anyway all is well now, phew I hope I never have to go without hot water like that again, crikey you wouldn't think we were use to camping

Thanks anyway for advice :LOL:

Beat me to it :rolleyes: I was gonna say backfill it .......How much££ :?:

Not sure I know the plumber charged £35 per hour including VAT and was here for about one and a half hours so think it will be in the region of £70 he is going to invoice us. Still you can't put a price on hot water hahahah so I keep telling my husband anyway. I see it that he had an hour and a half lesson in plumbing so if it happens again he will know what to do! hopefully he would remember

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back