(All OK - so don't bother looking!) Help! Vaillaint Turbomax 828 o-ring part?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
(Vaillant Turbomax Plus 828E - 282/2.5 GC 47 044 09 )

Today, changed the heat exchanger and diverter valve, and that seemed to be OK. However, I must've nudged another pipe and disturbed an old oring that started to drip. Annoying it was the one behind the pump. Doh.

Looking at parts diagram it is the pipe from the top right of the HE to the back of the pump (part 22) on the diagram - and that says it uses o'ring part 44 as it goes into the back of the pump connector (part 25)

Now, the pump had to come out to access that, and where the pumps fits on to the housing it uses the same oring part 44. Part 44 is Vaillant part 981151 for 10x. Great. (I have just ordered 10 from local supplier, will collect tomorrow).

1 & 3 show part 44 oring on the pump connection. 2 shows part 44 oring on the pipe I need to replace the oring on. So according to this, its the same

o3.PNG

However, I'm not convinced it is part 44 as the o'ring from the pump fitting is bigger (and thinner?) than the o'ring that connects to pipe 22. (The pump o'rings are 2yo and the pipe o rings must be original (10+ years).

The OD of the area where the o'ring sits on pipe 22 is 19mm and the OD of the area where the o'ring on the pump site is 20mm. Surely they can't be the same? (3 parts suppliers all had the same diagram as above, and that's what they insisted it was)

Help!! Is that right?

Pic o1 shows the LH old oring from pipe 22, and the RH the oring from the pump. Both part 44 according to diagram, but different sizes
Pic o2 shows the pipe where it needs the oring (pipe part 22)
o1.PNG
o2.PNG

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
take the old one off clean it and apply silicone grease and re use it

take the old one off clean it and apply silicone grease and re use it
It looked rather deformed and old.
Time for a new one

Enough about the wife!

(New orings collected, and seems to fit OK, not "tight" but not loose - just reassembling...)

Sponsored Links
Yep. Have a specific tub I bought for this job :)
Anyway - the o'rings from Vaillant are slightly bigger than the smaller (fractions) and a bit smaller than the ones I had on the pump (branded) - so clearly that was throwing me out.
The boiler has been reassembled, with grease, and wohoo! No drips - so thank **** for that.

Top tip: Trust the parts diagram - and don't take the old orings into account.

All working fine, just got to bleed it and put in some anti-corrosion stuff as the boiler seems to be eating itself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back