Alterations to chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning to install a boiler stove into an existing fireplace. I want to inset it into the fireplace. At present the opening is not big enough and I want to increase the width from approximately 600mm to 1000mm and the high from 800mm to 1000mm.

Is this possible? Would I use lintels similar to when you cut a door opening in an existing structural wall? or is the considerably more weight on a chimney breast?
I have taken some photos and upload them to show the existing fireplace / chimney

Thank You
 
Alterations to chimney breast

Sponsored Links
Can you post the make & name of the stove - could you also highlight on the pics the dimensions required for the rough opening?

The chimney breast appears to be random stone, rendered with sand and cement. The throating seems to be cut & shaped concrete flags?

The clay or terracotta flue lining might be difficult to expose and connect to the stove for a DIY'er, plus the back boiler pipework installation must be considered.

You will need to lintel across the rough opening according to the height given in the stove instructions - use a concrete lintel (you can cut it to size). Remove any fire back up to the back wall and wire brush off all soot. The flue liner probably needs sweeping.

The vegetation growing thro the hearth is not good, its a sign of damp. You should sort the damp hearth out. If you can, go crawl under the floor and examine the hearth fender wall and surrounding timber for damp and decay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back