Andrew Marr Show

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The backdrop in the Sunday Morning Andrew Marr show, is a magnificent panoramic Live view of London. It looks like it is from a building south of the Houses of parliament, with panoramic windows. I cannot identify the existence of such a building on Google Earth which leads me to the conclusion that the building does not exist and the TV production is from a studio which the magic of TV wizardry makes a very convincing picture. The moving perspective when the cameras shift is incredible if indeed it is the magic of TV which produces the image.
Can anyone confirm that the image is in fact TV wizardry. We Woolly Back Northerners do not get the opportunity to have a nip down to Westminster to have a look.

Sponsored Links
I've often wondered that but came to the conclusion that it is one of those giant screens at the back like they use on Sky news. The perspective will alter naturally when the camera moves. Might be wrong....

....but I doubt it. :LOL:

Havnt watched the show but if they are using a Chromakey (green,blue background usual colours used but can be others) and the camera accidently moves then the illusion is destroyed as the image will move, thats why they normally shoot a Chromakey with a single locked off camera, now if you are talking Virtual Reality TV then thats different and uses special sensors on the cameras to look at a reference that might be on the ceiling of the studio ( one system at the beeb used upside down mushrooms with "barcode" circles on them to reference the camera position) and then powerful graphic computers generate the backings according to the viewpoint of the camera.
An Israeli missile targeting company have another system for TV studio use that uses an array of sensors on the camera and around a studio to do the same thing.

Sponsored Links
from that video its not chromakey, but its not good enough quality to make out whether its just some form of back projection or what. i'll have a word with my contacts when i get back to work next week and find out how its done and post then.

"The backdrop to the studio is a series of large screens - in effect a video wall. Each programme drops into this video wall whatever image it wants."

Just as the Mighty Joe-90 suggested.

Sadly live it is not.
... It is not technically possible to fill this wide space with a single image from a single camera. The backdrop is created by stitching together a series of different camera shots, taken from the top of an office block near the Tate.
They were taken in the summer when the trees were out and in fact there is much more greenery on the video wall each week than can now be seen on the ground. If it were possible to offer a "live" shot that showed the state of the weather, the foliage on the trees¿and the time on Big Ben as it is at that moment, it would be preferable. Sadly, that is not technically possible...

We have similar on local news with a view of Clifton Suspension bridge, tis a movie, apparently, from time to time someone refilms the view - Probably seasonal.
:(

333Rocky333 answers the problem. Thanks so much, it has answered the question I have been posing every time I see the programme.
It is incredibly well done.I had noticed 'splits' in the backdrop, but I had convinced myself that these join lines were joins in the glass window panels.
The paralax effect when the cameras move is so convincing. I have also been fooled by the fact that when the weather in London is reported as being dull and overcast then the backdrop is similar. Either they use Live cameras at the site or have lots of video with different weather condition.
Anyway it is brilliently done.
I had noticed the tree Foliage, but we Woolly Back Northerners thought London being on the equator had green tree all year round or maybe Plastic ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeh, but is the Gherkin in the correct position, relative to the Eye, from that view? It looks to be south of the river to me...

Yeh, but is the Gherkin in the correct position, relative to the Eye, from that view? It looks to be south of the river to me...

I am a Northerner and even I know the Thames bends on its course through London. !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, even as a carrot cruncher, I realise that!

It was the orientation of the wheel itself that was throwing me, in my mind's eye, I thought it rotated about a north-south axis.

It actually rotates in a roughly northnortheast-southsouthwest direction (ie rotates about an westnorthwest-eastsoutheast axis). The coordinates of the Eye are 51°30'12"N 0°7'11"W and those of the Gherkin are 51°50'33"N 0°4'47"W, which puts the Gherkin north east, relative to the Eye, or just about 30° off the Eye's rotational axis.

The NatWest Tower is at 51°30'55"N 0°5'2"W ie north west of the Gherkin

Thus, looking at the montage, the camera angle is somewhere to its south west, on the west side of the Thames, possibly Millbank area?

Looking from left to right on the Youtube link at 2'47", the three, from left to right are in the order Eye,NWT, Gherkin.

By judicious use of washable (I hope!) ink lines on my screen, over a Google map and transposing that onto the Youtube link, I therefore deduce that the montage is just about spot on, although the presumed 90° angle of the two "window" frames makes the NWT look as if it's north of the Gherkin, so there must be a tad of distortion there.

I am so sad, sitting here doing this...!

Yes, even as a carrot cruncher, I realise that!

It was the orientation of the wheel itself that was throwing me, in my mind's eye, I thought it rotated about a north-south axis.

It actually rotates in a roughly northnortheast-southsouthwest direction (ie rotates about an westnorthwest-eastsoutheast axis). The coordinates of the Eye are 51°30'12"N 0°7'11"W and those of the Gherkin are 51°50'33"N 0°4'47"W, which puts the Gherkin north east, relative to the Eye, or just about 30° off the Eye's rotational axis.

The NatWest Tower is at 51°30'55"N 0°5'2"W ie north west of the Gherkin

Thus, looking at the montage, the camera angle is somewhere to its south west, on the west side of the Thames, possibly Millbank area?

Looking from left to right on the Youtube link at 2'47", the three, from left to right are in the order Eye,NWT, Gherkin.

By judicious use of washable (I hope!) ink lines on my screen, over a Google map and transposing that onto the Youtube link, I therefore deduce that the montage is just about spot on, although the presumed 90° angle of the two "window" frames makes the NWT look as if it's north of the Gherkin, so there must be a tad of distortion there.

I am so sad, sitting here doing this...!

OH 'EK - You Win, I surrender.
I do similar things to you in this respect so it must be all of us Non Londeners who are sad characters, but it's fun isn't it? Being a Non Londener I mean!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Back