Another Concrete Floor Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I am buying a house, well cottage. It was built in 1900 and is in Scotland, solid wall construction. Suspended timber floors in 90% of the rooms, and due to damp, and age most have failed.

So as part of the renovation, I am going to have to replace these floors, Mrs. is keen for underfloor heating throughout, so I am guessing concrete is my best option here. Question I have is a moisture barrier enough to put in before filling, etc, with solid wall construction.

I plan to build new stud work throughout with vapor barrier etc.

Someone suggest block and beam also. We are looking at 160 square meters of flooring approx. I plan to do as much labor myself as I can. I have done many renovations, but never replaced a suspender floor for a solid one before.

Sponsored Links
You have to consider the location of the property - is it on a hill side etc.

You also have to consider that solid floors can divert moisture into and up the surrounding walls - altho 1900 should have a DPC.

Solid floors need insulation in the field of the floor and at the edges.

Re-running of pipework and cables has to be considered.

Thanks, its a full gut and strip, so I will be rewiring anyway, so no issues with that.

The wall construction is solid stone about 700mm thick.

I aim to insulate the property to a high standard, as it will be oil heating I install.

I am clear on all the other work, just never done floor work, other than repair existing timbre, but these are in very poor shape.

Sponsored Links
Concrete floors will accommodate UFH - research diagrams on here, and use google. As always: its the FFL that determines all floor work.

700mm walls most likely will have a rubble infill and no DPC - search for one (it would probably be slate) just in case.

Using "stud wall ... with vapour barrier" is a fraught and contentious issue - read and research on here and the views of other Remedial experts on google, and come to your own conclusions as you are apparently a skilled man.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back