Any help on y plan s plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone explain to me in simple terms or show me a pic on how y plans ans s plans work as i am really struggling with it at college

Sponsored Links
http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/Sundial.htm
S plan is simple it's like dual circuit breaks on a car, two of everything, or like stereo.

On both plans everything starts at the programmer. The programmer gets power from the mains live neutral and earth. The neutral and earth from the mains go to other parts like the thermostats boiler the pump the zone valves.

The live is sent by the programmer down each route when programmer is at an on period. So take heating, programmer set to call for heat, sends live to room stat, Where it goes into room stat is known as common, that's because it's always live. Some room stats need a neutral. There are two other connections, call for heat and no call for heat. We only use the call for heat. When the room stat isn't satisfied the common and the call for heat are connected so the live carries on along the path to the next part, the zone valve. The live signal starts the synchronous motor moving which opens the valve, when it reaches fully open position a contact is made which passes the live to the next part which is the boiler and the pump and hey presto you have heating. Hot water is identical.

Y plan is the same up to the mid position valve on the heating side, but on the hot water side there is a no call for heat connection to be made at the cylinder stat. This is where the boiler gets it's live from when the heating is called for but the hot water isn't. The mid position valve is a bit more trick than the zone valves. I'm no pro on it's internals do a google search for mid position valve you should find pages that show you the functioning of the two microswitches diodes and so on which make it tick. Not important to know it at your level, just sufficient to know what it does for you. Like the zone valve it sends the live on to the boiler once it has reached the necessary position.

The biggest mistake people make is to omit the no call for heat of the cylinder stat, constyantly I go to houses that have been turning up the cylinder stat so they can have heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back