Any idea why the paint/primer is cracking on only this drawer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am using oil-based spray paint on a set of varnished drawers. I sanded it all and used an oil based primer (two coats). I waited 3 days, then applied an oil based spray paint. On all of the other drawers it was more or less fine, but this one drawer looked 'cracked' in places, as if the primer underneath had cracked. There were similar smaller patches on the other drawers but it seemed to settle. On this one, however, the cracking was worse, so I lightly sanded the paint until the cracking was no longer apparent, then did another layer of paint - this was the result! The cracking is now much worse! On the other drawers, I didn't sand, just applied another coat, and all was fine. I'm assuming I'm just going to have to sand it all off and start again on this drawer, but I'd like to know where I went wrong if at all possible so I don't repeat the same mistake! Any thoughts gratefully received :)
IMG_1946.JPG

Sponsored Links
Could have previously had something silicone based on it, which causes this fish-eyeing. Something like furniture polish or lubricant. Professional paint shops to to the ends of the earth to ensure there are no silicone based products in there, for exactly this reason. Once it's there, it's there to stay!

Nozzle

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back