Bal rapid set flex mix ratio?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I printed this out before but it looks like they have changed the format, or just the way it is wrote...

This is the link

http://194.223.92.131/pdf/Technical...ingle_Part_Flexible_and_Rapidset_Flexible.pdf

it gives the ratios like this

Water 1.0 pbw e.g. 4.5 litres

Powder 4.5 pbw e.g. 20kg

it was not like this before I dont think...whats PBW...... whats the laymans easy formula like 5kg to 2 litres of water??

Please

Sponsored Links
And if you want to mix a small amount up.....

All the best

Darren

darren7 said:
it gives the ratios like this

Water 1.0 pbw e.g. 4.5 litres

Powder 4.5 pbw e.g. 20kg

it was not like this before I dont think...whats PBW...... whats the laymans easy formula like 5kg to 2 litres of water?
PBW == Parts By Weight.

1 litre of water weighs exactly 1kg, so you can measure the volume of water if you prefer. You can never do it by volume of the powder though, but it's volume changes according to how much it's settled.

I don't understand the way that you're example (above) is laid out, but I believe it's at least attempting to show an example of mixing 4.5 litres of water to 4.5 kg of powder.

Does that help?

Ok yes I understand.... but say you just wanted to mix a little up.... like you would with cement...or something.... enough to say re fix 3-4 tiles....

what would be the BAL...way to do this.... as not every tiler would carry scales ? or would they?

ok I place 1 litre of water in a mixing vessel.. where would you go from there for a nice mix, please

Darren

Sponsored Links
darren7 said:
ok I place 1 litre of water in a mixing vessel.. where would you go from there for a nice mix, please
Not having any idea what you mean by a nice mix, I suggest that you just do what the manufacturer says.

So, if you have 1 litre of water, then you mix it with 1kg of powder.

If you have a 20kg bag of powder, then 1/20th of that bag is 1kg.

Or, you could take enough powder that you think will cover the three tiles, add about half the same amount again, weigh it, and add the appropriate amount of water.

I'm sure this isn't as hard as you're making it seem. :)

yes not looking at the bag now.... on the side of the bag.... think it says 5l for a 20kg bag.... or 5.5.....

so 1 litre(latin) 1kg weight. dont know what the 1/20th is about sorry sir...

that would mean 20 litre to a 20kg bag..... would be like runny......

just wanted an easy way of mixing say 1 or 2 kg.......

easy to burn a drill out mixing this stuff in large amounts... I now see why they do proper electric mixers.

Well if 5 Litres will do a 20Kg bag then 20 divided by 5 is 4, so...

That is 4 Kg per Litre of water, or...

2 Kg per 500ml, or...

1Kg per 250ml.

Its not rocket science :)

I've just been laying floor tiles with Biscem adhesive and the bag states the same ratios as above. However I've found it to be a little sloppy for what I was doing so added a more powder to get the consistency of smooth peanut butter (as gcol says). So don't bother weighing the powder, just measure some water out and start adding powder until you get the consistency mentioned. That way you can easily make up large or small quantities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back