barriers, membranes and insulation for a garden office!?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My other half and I can't agree on the hows, whys and wheres of barriers/ membrane and insulation! I was hoping some of you might be able to help us out. Sorry in advance for such a long post :)

I've spent a few nights searching the net trying to figure out how to construct the walls, roof and floor, regarding the above, to my garden office and I ended up more confused than when I started!

I'm using 6x4 to construct the walls, floor and roof. It will be 2.4m by 3.6m.

I am having a flat(ish) roof, it will have a pitch on it to allow water to run off freely and because I think it will look nicer :)

I was planning on using 9mm osb for the walls and roof.

On two external walls (which are not visible in the garden and have no windows or doors), I am going to use felt (stuck on with felt adhesive). On the other two, that are visible and will have doors and window, I will be placing a breather membrane onto the osb, then battens, then 18mm cladding.

The roof will be felt, stuck on with adhesive.

I am using 22mm chipboard for the floor, which I will then put 'nice' flooring on top of.

The office will sit on a 4 wooden posts (with 6x4 running around the perimeter for the floor joists and walls to be attached too)which will be post-created.

I'm hoping to keep costs to a minimum with regards to insulation. I was thinking of using 100mm roofing felt.

Where would the air gap and vapour barrier go for the walls and the ceiling?

I know I will need ventilation for the roof, but I can't for the life of me figure out where the vapor barrier would go (below or above the insulation?) Would the roof also need a breather membrane? If someone could explain it to me in layman's terms, I would very much appreciate it :)

The inside will be plaster boarded (normal stuff, not foil backed)... should there be a gap between the board and the insulation?

Also, one last q :) Can I use the roof insulation under the floor? As it will be raised off the ground, I thought that I could use something to 'cradle' the insulation (plastic orange builders net?) to the joists. Would I need a gap or a vapour barrier?

I'll have electric and will buy a little heater if need be :)

:) I'm worn out just writing it! Building it should be fun!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back