bathtub drain bad design

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

please could someone guide me with my slow bathtub drain.

Bathtub has always been slow and I think I know the reason why. The drain from bathtub travels about 2-3 inches high before reaching the waste pipe under the bathtub.
Water still flows out slowly as the height of pipes is slightly lower than the tub drain start point.

There is also a anti reverse device fitted before it reaches the waste pipe.

Now I want to fix this so that drain water flows faster. What options do I have ?

1. Buy a new bathtub that is shallower so that the drain pipe doesnt have to travel up - not sure if I can find one.
2. Install a drain pump ?
3. Raise the existing bathtub by a few inches ?

Unfortunately this has been designed by my ex-owner's plumber and we are having to live with it.

Thanks in Advance

Ash

Sponsored Links
Yes I have done this couple of times in the past and it only gives me a a slightly better flow. I have used the snake to go straight into the waste pipe and there are no blockages.

Only thing that gave me a slight better flow was when I replaced the anti reverse pipe part (sorry I don't know the tech term for this)

Sponsored Links
Your descripton is good but not sure what you mean by "anti reverse device".

The metal "plug hole" is called the waste and screwed underneath this will be the trap which the waste pipe is connected to. The trap is often u-shaped and made of white plastic. Is this the bit you're referring to?

As ADLP says, do post a pic.

The 'anti reverse' is basically a botch because of the too-high connection.
As stated, the connection needs to be lower. There will then be no need for the anti-reverse.

Thanks for your responses far.
Yes anti reverse is part of the diagram I posted (yellow bit) and I agree with charnwood - this is probably a botch to get over the high pipe issue.

My theory for why ex owners had to do this is because they have fixed a deep curved bath that has the trap somewhere in the middle rather than in the corner - hence drain has to travel higher and longer.

I will post a real pic today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back