Baxi Bermuda 552 fire won't ignite - safe to leave?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a new house which has a Baxi Bermuda 552 fire and back boiler heating system. The fire operated OK the first time I tested it and hasn't been on since.

Today I had to turn the electricity supply off to do some electrical work and it occured to me that doing so might have extinguished a pilot light somewhere - so I turned the electricity back on and tried the fire. And tried again, and again. It will not light.

I can see a pilot light burning somewhere behind the fire so I think the back boiler side of things is operating normally. I just can't get the fire itself to ignite. This isn't really a problem for me as I rely solely upon the central heating and leave the fire switched off, I'd just like some reassurance that it is safe to leave it as is.

I think the fire uses a piezo igniter, so am I right in thinking there is no pilot light on the fire side of things - so as long as the knob on the side is turned off I don't have to worry about a small, unlit stream of gas escaping into the room?

Sponsored Links
The fire ignites when you turn the knob and it activates a pizo spark generator.

So its safe to leave until you can get it serviced/repaired.

BBUs need servicing every year and as a new owner I would recommend that's done soon as you don't know the history.

Tony

I think you're right - the fire is piezo ignition. Ours can be a pain in the arse - if you click it and it fires, then you accidentally release it before the thermocouple is ready, it makes you wait and wait before it allows a relight.

I would be surprised if it allowed a gas stream without an active burner - I'm fairly sure that's why you need to hold it down and click initially, to override the gas cutoff while it lights.

I could be talking utter cobblers, of course..I'm only an IT tech, heh.

Oh yes, and I agree - get it fully serviced, and get a CO detector too - sage advice given to me 2 years ago when our "new" house had it's first BBU service in what the guy reckoned was a "ruddy long time".

Sounds like Bendy has a later BBU model with safety device in the fire.

I don't think the early ( most ) of them had any.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that has set my mind at rest. I'll look into getting the whole lot serviced as you suggest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back